Why become a member? ×

aphex bass exciter

Kev

okay so i thought id give it a go at fixing one that i bought broke off the forum last week, but i think i dont have the skills!

led lights, no signal, signal is fine through bypass, could this be the famous switch f*** up that these pedals suffer?? if so how would i go about replacing it? the switch appears to be soldered on to the board on both sides, and i cant see a way possible of me gettin it off :)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='218424' date='Jun 13 2008, 04:16 PM']okay so i thought id give it a go at fixing one that i bought broke off the forum last week, but i think i dont have the skills!

led lights, no signal, signal is fine through bypass, could this be the famous switch f*** up that these pedals suffer?? if so how would i go about replacing it? the switch appears to be soldered on to the board on both sides, and i cant see a way possible of me gettin it off :)[/quote]

Sounds like a solder sucker is your friend.

just opened up my xciter, its only soldered on one side, the side that has easy access to it, the hardest part i can see is removing the internals from the chassis, getting the knobs back in place can be awkward.

just a query, but if you werent confident about it why did you buy the pedal, knowing it was faulty, in the first place?

[quote name='spree' post='218511' date='Jun 13 2008, 07:17 PM']just opened up my xciter, its only soldered on one side, the side that has easy access to it, the hardest part i can see is removing the internals from the chassis, getting the knobs back in place can be awkward.

just a query, but if you werent confident about it why did you buy the pedal, knowing it was faulty, in the first place?[/quote]
its soldered on both sides, i have the board out of the case in front of me

and i dunno, i just felt like it was worth buying and seeing if i could do it

[quote name='BassManKev' post='218588' date='Jun 13 2008, 09:57 PM']its soldered on both sides, i have the board out of the case in front of me

and i dunno, i just felt like it was worth buying and seeing if i could do it[/quote]

whaddaya think i was looking at? what you can see in the gap is throughflow from the solder work on the other side, like EBS_Freak said, a solder sucker will pull all that out if you melt it, theres a few people around who have done the work. It appears to be a common problem so aphex might be on board with replacements etc.

Edited by spree

have done and have tried :) the end pins on both sides of the switch appear to be soldered on both sides identically whilst the middle pins are only soldered on the back, with no trace on the other side, so im pretty damn sure that the end pins have been soldered on both sides for the extra security, no amount of sucking will suck that solder through :huh:

hopefully aphex will get in touch, you would have think this would be sorted by now with so many complaints about the switch!

Edited by BassManKev

I fixed one of these recently. It gets easier if you take the switch apart. Cut it off if you have to. It's screwed anyway, right?

I've never known anyone turn one of these off, so I just bypassed the switch into always on.

I can dig it out and tell you what point to solder to what, if you want.

[font="Arial"]I basically cut the switch out in the end - get some nice sharp snips under it and chop!

Then I desoldered and removed the remaining pins.

Then, looking down at the board, component-side up, there are 6 holes where the switch used to be. Connect them like this

[font="Courier New"]
O---O O

O---O O[/font]

Then it works![/font]

Edited by dangerboy

i managed to get the switch off and pins out and attempted to wire as you said, but not a sign of a signal, led doesnt even light up, iv f***ed up part of the trace on the board in the process. ah well, thats a tenner il never see again i guess! you live and learn, cheers for help anyways guys

Edited by BassManKev