Why become a member? ×

To Mac or not to Mac?

patrickpz

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1377600826' post='2189167']
While we're on the topic, have any of you seen the promo page for the new Mac Pro? Provisionally, it looks like an utter beast of a machine. I might sell this MBP and get the Mac Pro when it comes out, if I can afford it. My guess is that the base model will be about £2,000, but it's really well specced, and at the moment, I'm considering getting a PC to run games on anyway. Getting the Mac Pro would mean I didn't need to, just partition the HD and run Windows for games.
[/quote]
[quote name='urb' timestamp='1377601374' post='2189179']
Hell yes... [url="http://www.apple.com/uk/mac-pro/"]http://www.apple.com/uk/mac-pro/[/url]

Like I said - it's an investment - i.e. buy this and you'll never need another computer... looks utterly sick.
[/quote]

OUCH! Looks incredible.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1377601374' post='2189179']
Hell yes... [url="http://www.apple.com/uk/mac-pro/"]http://www.apple.com/uk/mac-pro/[/url]

Like I said - it's an investment - i.e. buy this and you'll never need another computer... looks utterly sick.
[/quote]

I know, right!? Looks fantastic! I paid £1200 for this MBP a year ago (more or less to the day) and I reckon it's still worth around £800-£900, so if I sold this, I'd be half way there (if my guestimations are correct :D).

I use my PC mainly for music and it has been just as reliable as my Mac.
When you are starting out or you have very little gear there a lots of things you can buy to improve actual recording of your music, studio monitors, room correction, good preamp or a good audio interface which will also help to keep your DAW stable. if looked after all of these they will retain their value and usefulness long after any Mac or PC is long gone.
One thing about Macs that I dislike is they tend not to be has backwards compatible has a PC. You upgrade you gear and it may no longer run on you old operating system or visa versa. I have heard that if you want to upgrade to the new logic pro X you need the latest operating system. but if you have a old Mac you may not be able to run the new OS. so your machine may become obsolete long before it stops working.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1377600826' post='2189167']
I'm considering getting a PC to run games on anyway.
Getting the Mac Pro would mean I didn't need to, just partition the HD and run Windows for games.
[/quote]

I presume you mean BootCamp? I installed this on an iMac so that young master discreet could play Skyrim without bothering my PC. I found it as neuralgia about the fundament. Having said that, it runs Vista faster and much more efficiently than my actual PC does, so there you go...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1377603774' post='2189216']
I presume you mean BootCamp? I installed this on an iMac so that young master discreet could play Skyrim without bothering my PC. I found it as neuralgia about the fundament. Having said that, it runs Vista faster and much more efficiently than my actual PC does, so there you go...
[/quote]

Yeah, BootCamp. My MBP came with it pre-installed. And there's absolutely no point in me buying a cheap PC to play games on, and having a great laptop that just doesn't have the GPU to play games. However, I would love to keep this, because it's as handy as all get out, but I'm considering getting an iPad anyway (to use in college) so, with a Mac Pro and an iPad, the MBP becomes a bit redundant.

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1377604011' post='2189223']
I am not saying don't buy a Mac but to use you budget wisely.
[/quote]

Of course, that's why if I'm getting an iPad, it will be the mini - Practically the same, except a lower res screen, and a bit smaller and lighter. It has a slower processor, but it also has less to process, on account of the lower res screen.

EDIT - it's also cheaper.

Edited by MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1377604435' post='2189238']
Of course, that's why if I'm getting an iPad, it will be the mini - Practically the same, except a lower res screen, and a bit smaller and lighter. It has a slower processor, but it also has less to process, on account of the lower res screen.

EDIT - it's also [b]50%[/b] cheaper.
[/quote]