Why become a member? ×

Bridges: Schaller vs Gotoh vs Baddass. GO!

ChickenKiev

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1377192355' post='2184653']
No, it's not a straight replacement on a Fender.
The 3D bridge has 3 screw positions which [u]don't[/u] line up with those on a Fender bass. You would need to drill.
[/quote]

Thanks very much for that... not sure whether I want to commit to making new holes! :)
Great-looking bridge, though.

Edited by discreet

• 4 years later...

Hello! Which of the himass bridges fits to Fender jazz bass without drilling the new holes?  Which one of them is the best (I mean both material quality and improvement). And what do you think about Schaller 3d for  Fender jazz bass Mim, even it demands new holes? Thanx!

I've had all three on the same bass and ended up with the Schaller 3D. The Badass was a bit of a lump - and cutting your own slots is a bit primitive.. The Gotoh was nice and simple, and I'd happily use it again, but the Schaller was the most sophisticated from an engineering point of view. I currently have an Ibanez with a cast Ibanez bridge and don't feel the need to upgrade it.

Edited by stevie

The only downside to the Schaller that I can think of is that you have to thread your strings through a hole in the bridge, although the Gotoh and Badass are the same in this respect. The Hipshot and ABM (and the stock Ibanez bridge) clip the strings in from the side (if you get my drift) which is a superior arrangement, I think, especially if you change strings a lot.

12 hours ago, stevie said:

The only downside to the Schaller that I can think of is that you have to thread your strings through a hole in the bridge, although the Gotoh and Badass are the same in this respect. The Hipshot and ABM (and the stock Ibanez bridge) clip the strings in from the side (if you get my drift) which is a superior arrangement, I think, especially if you change strings a lot.

Until you need to change a string in a hurry at gig, when you'll find that it keeps popping out of the slot all the time before you can get it up to enough tension to stay in place.

Ahem... Hipshot KickAss. I know it's not one of the three in the OP, but having fitted one to my Jazz I recommend it. High mass, lateral adjustment, straight swap on a Fender (four string), easy availability, great price and looks good!

HipshotKick1.jpg

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1