Why become a member? ×

Ampeg V-4B

joeystrange

The new Ampeg V-4B looks pretty good to me. If it sounds close enough to the SVT-CL (which I love) then, at half the weight, I might be tempted to get one.
There are a couple of things I'm wondering though...

Is 100W of tube power enough to gig with? And does anyone know of any shop that actually stocks Ampeg so I could try it out?

Cheers.

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1376578988' post='2176370']

Is 100W of tube power enough to gig with?

Cheers.
[/quote]

Yes, depending on what the rest of the band are using and what cab(s) you're using. I'd love a decent 100w all tube head

I don't know anything about this one but I do have a made in USA V4BH head which goes through a 4x10 HLF Classic cab.
100W of Ampeg [b]valve[/b] power which, to my taste, is superb.
I have played clubs, town halls and outdoor festivals (mosttimes going through the PA) with no probs.
Most line ups have been with guitarists using Fender Twins, Mesa Boogies and big Marshalls and for one three year period a drummer who could have given John Bonham a bl**dy good run for his money, volume wise.
I suggest you give it a try but make sure you have good cab. that works with it, too.

Edited by Jazzneck

I'd definitely be keeping the 8x10.
Our guitarists both have 100W valve heads with Marshall 4x12s and our drummer is pretty loud. That said I never run the volume past 3 on the CL and that's more than loud enough.

The main problem is finding one that I can try out first.

I used to use a '70s V4B with a Marshall VBC 412 and the combination worked very well. Too loud for most gigs I did but a great sound, other bassists seemed to comment on how well the head and cab matched up.
I found 4x10s didn't seem to work as well particularly a SVT410HE that I briefly owned.
I hope the new V4B is as good as the old one, I preferred mine to the SVTs I had. The active mid circuit does all the work to get you heard, very gritty.

Edited by The fasting showman