Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb Dirty Blonde
£1000

Descendent

[color=#ff0000][b]••SOLD••[/b][/color]

For sale is my Warwick 2006 Limited Edition 'Dirty Blonde' Thumb. It's the 4 string version in absolute pristine condition & comes complete with the hard case and full user kit. This one is no. 6/304.

The body is swamp ash with a beautiful burled poplar top. Neck is bolt on maple with Warwick's ekanga veneers and the fingerboard is ebony with gull inlays. Most Thumb bolt ons have 2 band EQ but this is the full 3 band controlling a P pickup at the neck and a JJ at the bridge, which can be coil tapped. Nut width is 38mm as per a jazz bass. I'm not sure on the weight as I don't have any scales but it's incredibly light. If this example is anything to go by: it's much lighter than any Fender or standard Warwick but not as light as a Dingwall ABZ (there's an obscure reference for you!).

This bass is sublime and plays like an absolute dream, the only reason I'm selling is I need the dosh! Ideally I'd like the buyer to collect as I'm moving house soon & pretty busy with it but shipping would be around the £30 mark.

Don't hesitate to shout if any more info is required.

Cheers.

[s](I may be interested in a trade for a nice 4 string passive jazz bass[/s] EDIT: I've recently sourced myself a jazz bass so I'm just after a straight sale. No trade offers please.

[url="http://s106.photobucket.com/user/DOTRS/media/Thumb-DB_front.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s106.photobucket.com/user/DOTRS/media/Thumb-DB_back.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s106.photobucket.com/user/DOTRS/media/Thumb-DB_headstock-front.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s106.photobucket.com/user/DOTRS/media/Thumb-DB_headstock-back.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s106.photobucket.com/user/DOTRS/media/StreamerampDirtyBlonde_small.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by Descendent

How does this bass sound? It has a completely different pup arrangement to the standard thumb. I'm imagining a very beefy sound. How does it compare to your classic stingray (the reason I ask is because I have one of those too and it is a good reference point for me)? Either way the bass looks stunning. Did you buy it from new?

Hi Maldy, I didn't buy it from new but it had only one or two previous owners at the most. It's in tip-top condition!

I own a Stingray too and it sounds absolutely nothing like one, but nothing does right ;) It doesn't sound anything like a standard Thumb either. It sounds more snappy and has incredible note clarity compared to most Warwicks which are very mid-rangey and growly. It's quite delicate actually, which isn't something you'd associate with a Warwick. It can sound quite nasty as well which is good for slap and maybe even metal. The ebony fingerboard and lightweight woods make it amazingly responsive for slap and more articulate than something like a Precision (even considering the P pickup). It definitely has it's own sound. Plus, it's a gorgeous looking instrument!

Hope that helps. It's always difficult trying to put into words how a bass sounds!

I mentioned your sale to a guy over on Talkbass who's looking for one of these, he's based over in the US though, so might not be the kind of buyer you're looking for.
Best of luck anyway :)

Eude

[quote name='Descendent' timestamp='1377187001' post='2184544']
Bump again. Is it a slow period or is the price too high? There's another Dirty Blonde on here at the mo for £1000 more(!!)
[/quote]

yeah, it is time to rise the price :D
LTD Warwicks worth a lot more than any other WW basses

Cheers for the thought Eude. Exporting this baby to the US seems like it'd be a pretty penny to get it there. $1560 even without shipping, import duties & tax - easily $2000 in the end.

Sexy666, I can only sell my LTD for what they seem to be going for! ;) What's the reason for getting rid of yours may I ask? You seem to have a fair few Warwicks in your collection!

[quote name='Descendent' timestamp='1377239578' post='2185094']
Cheers for the thought Eude. Exporting this baby to the US seems like it'd be a pretty penny to get it there. $1560 even without shipping, import duties & tax - easily $2000 in the end.

Sexy666, I can only sell my LTD for what they seem to be going for! ;) What's the reason for getting rid of yours may I ask? You seem to have a fair few Warwicks in your collection!
[/quote]

Quite right Descendent. I had my Bleached Blonde 4 string up and had very little (but determined) interest at £1100. I exchanged it for a rather lovely US 75 Jazz RI and a few bob.
Market will dictate what they are worth, which is a shame because these particular Warwicks are fabulous basses.
GLWTS

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1377240034' post='2185096']
Quite right Descendent. I had my Bleached Blonde 4 string up and had very little (but determined) interest at £1100. I exchanged it for a rather lovely US 75 Jazz RI and a few bob.
Market will dictate what they are worth, which is a shame because these particular Warwicks are fabulous basses.
GLWTS
[/quote]

Cheers Karlfer, it's tricky as I've had quite a few really nice trade offers but I need the cash so I've scuppered at least half of any potential deals already. D'oh!

[quote name='Descendent' timestamp='1377242859' post='2185128']
Cheers Karlfer, it's tricky as I've had quite a few really nice trade offers but I need the cash so I've scuppered at least half of any potential deals already. D'oh!
[/quote]

I know the feeling. My thinking was I can always sell a good jazz on easily.
Defies belief that basses as good as these Warwicks appear to be an acquired taste. If mine had had 20 frets it would have gone nowhere. But I'm an old git, I can't see past the 20th fret :lol:
Bump.

[/quote]

i've changed endorsement (i had 17 warwick basses at the same time :D)

only kept my 2 true pearls, the 2003 LTD 5 string and the 2006 LTD 5 string thumbs

i've decided to sell em because... i'm just like to trade basses. they aren't bad basses, no warwick "sickness" of exotic woods, they sounds like real bass guitars, sounds good when you play in a loud rockband.
they aren't heavy like thumb NT's.

if you check the new pricelist, the normal Bubinga Thumb BO5 is 2000 pounds at the moment. i think 2000 pounds for a mega rare 5 stringer is a very good price!

[quote name='sexy666' timestamp='1377244633' post='2185147']
i've changed endorsement (i had 17 warwick basses at the same time :D)

only kept my 2 true pearls, the 2003 LTD 5 string and the 2006 LTD 5 string thumbs

i've decided to sell em because... i'm just like to trade basses. they aren't bad basses, no warwick "sickness" of exotic woods, they sounds like real bass guitars, sounds good when you play in a loud rockband.
they aren't heavy like thumb NT's.

if you check the new pricelist, the normal Bubinga Thumb BO5 is 2000 pounds at the moment. i think 2000 pounds for a mega rare 5 stringer is a very good price!
[/quote]

I know what you mean, trading basses can become a bit of an addiction! The list price for new Warwick basses is crazy, I have no idea who buys these things from new.

Good luck with your sale anyway man, it is a gorgeous bass but I would say that wouldn't I! ;) The maple necks on these are beautiful.

i don't mean list price, it's the "streetprice"

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Warwick-Thumb-Bolt-On-5-String-Bass-Guitar-Natural-Oil-Finish/N77"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Warwick-Thumb-Bolt-On-5-String-Bass-Guitar-Natural-Oil-Finish/N77[/url]

[/quote]

Depends how much someone wants one, the Warwick Custom Shop want nearly $6500 to recreate one these days...

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1377246372' post='2185178']
Depends how much someone wants one, the Warwick Custom Shop want nearly $6500 to recreate one these days...
[/quote]

and for 6500 you only get a custom shop bass, not a worldwide limited one, with HPW's own handsign. He's a living legend.

• 2 weeks later...