Why become a member? ×

Late 80's (89) Korean Squiers

Oversoul

S what's the word on those? I see a lot of good talk, and recently played a japanese Silver Series Squier. All can say is wow, they REALLY don't make them like they used to. :rolleyes:

But, what about this mode in particular? An S9 (1989 samick produced) Korean Squier P?

http://melres.olx.pt/vendo-baixo-fender-squier-precision-bass-iid-440268373

Is the build quality considered inferior on these?

I had a Vester produced jazz bass which apart from the ferules being loose in the headstock (it meant it took far too long after string changes to hold its tuning, but eventually it did) it was a very good bass. I stripped all the paint off and oiled it and used it in my Police tribute for a while.I've never really played a bad squire apart from the early Chinese ones. They were pretty poor

There's been nothing particularly special about the few Korean Squiers I've tried, but they weren't bad basses either. If €160 is a reasonable price for a Squier in Portugal then it might be worth going for but I wouldn't pay a premium for it being made in 1989.

FWIW the Japanese Silver Series were introduced pretty much as a response to a perceived drop in quality of Squiers back in the day.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1375790033' post='2165572']
My Squier P is an '89 IIRC. It plays and sounds as nice as most Ps I've tried.
[/quote] Does the serial start with S9? If so it should be built by Samick. The bass does look good and looks almost identical to jap Squiers, altough I'm not sure on the neck finish. 170 euros is a good price, should drop it a bit.

[quote name='Oversoul' timestamp='1375798028' post='2165750']
Does the serial start with S9? If so it should be built by Samick. The bass does look good and looks almost identical to jap Squiers, altough I'm not sure on the neck finish. 170 euros is a good price, should drop it a bit.
[/quote]

I believe it does and I believe it was. It could do with a fret dress and the truss rod is just about maxxed - I'll get both dealt with soon - but I only got it for 'mud-slinging' gigs where I didn't want to take my main basses. It's surprisingly good. I really like the neck and the big frets.