• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

USA B3K question / potential issue

bakerster135

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
Hi all,[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
Just had a question regarding the US B3K, and wondered if you could help. I know they're pretty popular around here!...
[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
I bought this ages ago, but so far have only had chance to use it at two gigs so far.
My favourite sound that I've found is:
Blend - Full[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
Level - 3 o'clock[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
Drive - Noon[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
Attack switch - On[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
Grunt switch - Fat[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]

When using it at home on my tiny home practice amp it's sounding great like this, but through my Mesa/Ampeg cab gig rig I seem to get a bass drop, or at least a feeling that I lose volume. Also tried changing level to full, but it's only just about right on this setting (surely it should have some headroom!?!...).
A couple of questions for you guys who use them:
- Have you experienced anything like this?[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
- Is the pedal designed so that the blend shouldn't be on full, and is it likely that I'm experience the bass/volume drop because the blend is full up?
- Does this sound like it could be a potential fault?
As mentioned the tone's great, so I really can't think that there's anything drastically wrong with it! I've heard so much about the massive low end on this thing though that I can't help but be a little underwhelmed by how it's performing!...
Please let me know if you can help.
Alex[/size][/font]

Of course you'll lose low end if you turn the blend to 100%!

Distortion almost always kills the low end, that is why the best drive pedals have blend knobs.

You can't expect to use the same settings on a little praccy amp as with a gig rig. You can't even expect to use the same settings on the *same* amp at massively different volume levels.

Start from scratch with your Mesa rig at proper volume - with the blend at 50% and tweak it from there.

Ok, never had the same issue with my Bass Drive Mosfet or Xotic BB which is why I was asking, and they don't have a blend. They kept low end just fine with what I assume was a purely effected sound.

So going by that, and considering the B3K is a bass-centric overdrive, I was under the impression that even the "pure" effect sound would still be designed to have a lot of bottom end.

Is that not the case then?

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1375711608' post='2164570']
Ok, never had the same issue with my Bass Drive Mosfet or Xotic BB which is why I was asking, and they don't have a blend. They kept low end just fine with what I assume was a purely effected sound.

So going by that, and considering the B3K is a bass-centric overdrive, I was under the impression that even the "pure" effect sound would still be designed to have a lot of bottom end.

Is that not the case then?
[/quote]

It's just different ways of doing it.

It is possible to distort the low end but when used in a band mix it often disappears because there is no deep clarity. I've had most bass drives and I'd say that almost all suffer some low end roll off. That's why I use a Boss LS2 to get clean blended in with it, if there is no blend control.

You could set it as you are doing already, but then back off the blend control until the low comes back, and then increase the drive if you feel you need a bit more dirt.

The other issue with pedals that have blend controls is that distortion naturally creates compression, but he clean part of the signal does not get that compression. Sometimes that means the clean booms out with the initial attack but then fades much quicker than the compressed drive sound. Can make it uneven.

Putting a compressor in front of the drive can solve that nicely.

• 2 weeks later...