Why become a member? ×

Getting rust off screws

Zenitram

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1376375195' post='2172866']
Lighter fuel works on nearly anything. If an overnight soak seems to lack results, induce heat.
[/quote]

Was looking for lighter fuel but couldn't find it anywhere. Old school products, soon to be residing in the 'where are they now' section!

Molasses, coke and vinegar all contain phosphoric acid to some degree. This is the part that does the rust removal. You can probably get the acid in higher strength on ebay but don't leave items in it overnight, more like a few minutes, and mind your fingers!!

[quote name='Steve G' timestamp='1376380515' post='2172929']
Molasses, coke and vinegar all contain phosphoric acid to some degree. This is the part that does the rust removal. You can probably get the acid in higher strength on ebay but don't leave items in it overnight, more like a few minutes, and mind your fingers!!
[/quote]

coke contains some phosphoric acid.

vinegar is acetic acid, diluted.

molasses I *think* contained *some* acetic acid among others, but it's been a long time since I read about that stuff. I don't recall any phosphoric acid there 'though.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1376382256' post='2172957']
coke contains some phosphoric acid.

[b]vinegar is acetic acid, diluted[/b].

molasses I *think* contained *some* acetic acid among others, but it's been a long time since I read about that stuff. I don't recall any phosphoric acid there 'though.
[/quote]

Doh! Brain in gear Steve. Yes, of course you are correct on the vinegar McNach. I'm pretty sure Molasses has it in though, quick google is not 100% behind it, but it can be used for rust removal although I never personally tried it. I think I'll go back in my corner now. :lol: