Why become a member? ×

How does he get this tone??

White Cloud

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1375615455' post='2163413']

Oh dear....here we go again, someone is having a bad day.

Apologies for asking the question that seems to have upset you.....but you have the choice to simply ignore it.
[/quote]
How so? I simply put an honest reply, not a heated rant.
I've heard far more interesting tones from Geddy than this one, that's all.

Your questions might be easier to ignore if you were to title the topic appropriately.

[quote name='D-L-B' timestamp='1375620444' post='2163490']
How so? I simply put an honest reply, not a heated rant.
I've heard far more interesting tones from Geddy than this one, that's all.

Your questions might be easier to ignore if you were to title the topic appropriately.
[/quote]
Hey, thanks for the top tip. You have taught me a valuable lesson today and are the winner.

Hope you feel better now my friend!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1375609024' post='2163299']
The OP jut asked about someone's tone - on a bass forum, of all places - and he's accused of having a lack of musical understanding?

Get a grip.
[/quote]
+1

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1375621612' post='2163512']
GUP is a great record. The balance of bass, guitar and keys is spot-on. It also captures the vibe of the era perfectly.
[/quote]

It took me a long time to get into Grace Under Pressure, didn't like it for ages, but now it's one of my favourites.

I've just had a quick listen to Grace Under Pressure , and it's pretty good overall , but a bit patchy overall in my estimation . Some aspects of it are a bit awkward - the clumsy attempts at socially - aware lyrics and the mixed results when it comes to trying to ape what were contemporary bands of the day l such as The Police - but overall it's a brave attempt to evolve the sound of the band . My own opinion is that , for reasons I struggle to understand , Rush's songwriting skills took a nosedive after this album , and that their records started to have increasingly few tracks on that were worthy of them in their prime , until Snakes And Arrows had none ! Clockwork Angels is at least an improvement on that low -point . When all is said and done, though, they are still Rush and will always command my attention because of that .

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1375627280' post='2163579']
For me, Signals was their last truly great album, and the beginning of the end. There were a few songs I liked on GUP, and the last tour has made me reassess some stuff from Hold Your Fire. Since then, meh. Counterparts was good, though. A real peak amid a lot of dross.
[/quote]
For me Rush hit their peak at Moving Pictures, Signals was great, GUP really good....then it was a slow & steady decline. Agree that Counterparts was a return to form and really dug what they tried to achieve with Power Windows...a very brave release!

The new stuff is not for me at all. Their sound (to me) is akin to (current) Iron Maiden & a myriad of copy cat versions of several contemporary rock bands that they obviously admire. Each to their own though.