Why become a member? ×

Sold
£999

Jellyfish

[size=5][b]Really need this gone. Price is down to [u]£900.[/u][/b][/size]

Due to financial circumstances, I am having to put my [i]only[/i] bass guitar up for sale. Luckily, I am not a musician by trade. :)

I purchased this Dingwall Combustion in March from Bass Direct after being blown away by it at the London Bass Guitar Show earlier this year. It has an Alder body with a 5-piece Maple bolt-on neck. The neck is a wonderful thin 'D' shape and feels entirely comfortable to me (as someone who prefers slimmer necks). The fretboard is Rosewood and consists of 24 frets with an 18mm string spacing at the bridge. [b]For more details, and sound-clips, click [url="http://www.dingwallguitars.com/basses/combustion/"]here.[/url][/b]

I opted to upgrade the stock pickups to the FD3 pickups. Here's a bit more about them: [b]Our Neodymium powered FD-3 pickup coils mounted in Combustion shells ready to install in your Combustion 5-string bass. These pickups will increase your output, frequency response and dynamics compared with the stock pickups.[/b]

I also upgraded the stock knobs (nice looking plastic things with a terrible thread) to some much more robust metal dome knobs that tighten with an allen key and actually look and feel nicer. These were professionally fitted by Guitar Repairs & Spares in Birmingham. While the knobs were getting replaced, I also paid for a full set-up, resulting in perfect intonation and my ideal string height (a medium-low) and also for the new strings to be fitted. The new strings are [b]Payson Nickel-Wound[/b] (45-130) and have been on for around a month now. I don't play enough for them to be anywhere near dead yet. :)

Regarding condition, it's pretty much mint. It's never been gigged or taken out the house and I look after my stuff well! The top 3 pictures have just been taken for the purpose of showing its current condition. The rest were taken when I first got the bass but the condition is exactly the same. [b]Feel free to message me with any questions regarding the bass.[/b]

[b]Payment by Bank Transfer only. I am not looking for trades.[/b] I am prepared to ship at your cost although [b]I do not have ideal packaging available[/b]. I would insist that you purchase a hard-case (or pay me to purchase one) and have it shipped to my house. I can then pack the bass in it (and the box that the case came in) and get it couriered to you. It's a pricey way of doing things but I have no other options unfortunately.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU02V-iuxAw[/media]

Edited by Jellyfish

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1375392983' post='2160809']
Don't do it man!
[/quote]

I definitely don't want to. My custom build that's on its way is a completely different bass to this and if I could keep it I'd have an extremely versatile pair of basses. Unfortunately, I'm having to put this up for sale just so I can fund my custom build (something that I could afford up until unavoidable problems hit). :)

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1375397280' post='2160863']
It has fanned frets - I have seen a few basses like this before never played one. Or really understood the benefit if them? What difference does it make?
[/quote]

There are 2 primary differences. The biggest advantage is the multi-scale. Having a 37" scale B is like achieving enlightenment. :) It gives a lovely even tone up and down the string, unlike most 5-strings where the notes get extremely muddy towards the 12th fret. It also means that a lot of players fit the Hipshot detuners to drop it down to A as it still feels like a more-than-playable string. It's also very 'slappable'. :)

The other advantage is that it effectively contours the frets to a more natural playing position, meaning that as your hand stretches towards the end of the fretboard, the natural slant your wrist and fingers takes lays perfectly across the fanned frets. This is also mirrored in the higher pitches and means that the 37" scale doesn't feel anywhere near as long as you think it could.

For anyone noticing, I apologise for the premature bump, but I couldn't help but answer this fantastic question as it will probably help out others that are interested. :)

They are indeed as great as many people say. I purchased this off the back of a visit to the London Bass Guitar Show earlier this year. I was 95% certain that I was going to purchase a Euro Spector as the Korean one I had previous was fantastic but it didn't float my boat. I then went onto the Warwick stand and fell for the P-Nut bass; really comfortable neck and nice small body. Then I spotted the Dingwall at the Bass Direct stand and although the string spacing was slightly larger than I preferred, I tried it out anyway. It was like a revelation. The fanned frets took [i]no [/i]adjusting to (for me) and my playing felt more fluid than I thought it could be on the string spacing that it has. The comfortable neck helps a lot as well, of course, but the fanned frets just make everything a bit easier.