Why become a member? ×

SOLD PENDING - Alleva Coppolo LG4 Sonic Blue (DN Board and Nitro lacquer) £3150
£3150

lozbass

Some of you may have seen my sell-off of high-end preamps and amps. Here we go with the basses...

I indicated with the pres/amps that it would be a no-hype campaign. 'Hard to avoid it with the basses.

Up for sale here is my Alleva Coppolo LG4 in Sonic Blue Nitro. The bass has the Dalbergia Negra board (old cut, old growth Brazilian Rosewood) - CITES embargoed and no longer available.

Some details:

This is one of the last pair of basses to leave JC's shop in New York (prior to his re-location to California) - I had both instruments, serial numbers B0047 and B0048 (this is B0047)
Date of completion, 19th June, 2008
The bass predates current nomenclature but would be a classic supreme or custom if ordered today
Neck - maple one piece with vintage tint finish (golden amber)
Board - Dalbergia Negra ($1500 upcharge - super-rare and all stock from JC's first batch now exhausted)
Body - alder (I think) - 2 piece
Pickups and electronics - JC's own (two-band) - 60s spacing
Finish - sonic blue nitro with matching headstock
Bridge - JC's own BBOT (I think)
Tuners - Hipshot lollipops
Set-up - Martin at the Gallery - currently very low but will go lower (D'addario 40-95 nickel roundwounds) - board is almost flat
Scratchplate - mint with very minor slap rash (also supplied with AC tort - again with extremely minor slap rash)
Case - original AC bag (super-rare, probably worth a bit on its own). The case will be supplied with the bag and shipped in an almost as new/perfect Hiscox EBS (if shipping is required): knock £50 off if you don't need the Hiscox
Condition - almost as new - the bass has never been gigged and has sat in its case for the three years that I've owned it (following importation from the US)
Blemishes:
very minor swirling and play wear on the guards (and possibly micro swirls on the body - I can't see any)
a pin head mark in the finish on the reverse of the body (see images) - this was on the bass from new - JC was informed by the original owner and told it was a minor problem in the hand-spraying process
a small and minor shadow on the back of the neck (from a Mono Vertigo case - Mono are to be informed) - this is a faint change in colour on one part of the centre of the neck (hard to see but I'm trying to be entirely up-front, this isn't a cheap bass)
maturation of the lacquer - the sonic blue exhibits some fading and very minor sinking (a property of thin nitro finishes) - there are no marks, dings, dents or scratches, however, the bass has some grey-blue-green fading and some patches where there is a little brown in the mix. The fading is all natural and not an effort to relic or prematurely age the bass. The finish should be expected to continue to age - I would expect more of the grey-green effect

The bass plays absolutely beautifully and has the feel of an early '60s J (this is what JC intended with the LG4). The tone is staggeringly good with fantastic sustain - notes just leap-off the DN board (the board is chocolatey black and smells lovely too). The 2 band circuit is reputed to be one of the best in the business - very musical and useable. The bass can be played in passive too.

I'm selling as I'm moving-on all my long-scale basses. I no longer play long-scale and have moved to short-scale exclusively (I have a wrist rotation issue that implies that shorties are much more comfortable).

Price - £3150 (firm). I know this isn't cheap. However, a bass of this spec would cost around £5500-£6000 in the UK with a massive wait time. Also, I don't think that the DN is available as an option any longer (as far as I know, JC's supply is exhausted). I have well-over £3500 invested in the instrument and don't really want to take a massive hit. Also, this particular bass has been cited as one of the most desirable to appear on Basschat. I'd have to concur. I don't need to sell it (fortunately), and won't be too unhappy if it just stays in its case - it's lovely to look at. This said, non-use is a bit of a waste and this should be the centre-piece of somebody's collection.

Collection and trial in Manchester is welcome - serious enquiries only please (I don't mind anybody having a go under normal circumstances, I'm just exceptionally busy at the moment). I can ship to Europe and the US at cost (and at the buyer's risk - I can include insurance if required).

I hope I've covered everything - a once in a lifetime bass (even JC said this one is special). Just let me know if you need anything further - apologies in advance - I have as much talent for photography as I do for playing bass

Edited by lozbass

Margusalviste - thanks very much -it is a bit lovely. I should have mentioned in my original post that I'm not looking for trades at all (I'm really moving away from long-scale). The only trades that would interest me would be for very high-end Alembic short or medium scales (Signature Deluxe or Series basses)