Why become a member? ×

Fender PB70 Precision on ebay Japan, opinions?

I'm after a MIJ PB70 Precision, I found this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Japan-Precision-Bass-PB70-US-Alder-Body-Olympic-white-Finish-/310708906589?pt=Guitar&hash=item4857b1aa5d

body is pretty 'roadworn' which i don't mind, but i don't like dinged necks, and its hard to tell on this one.
the price isn't too bad if i can avoid the vat duty.
(new PB70s imported are about £900)

I wondered if anyone bought from this dealer?

they seem to have gone to some effort with photos etc. they say this is the USA pickup model, but i don't know how to confirm that...

ted

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1374504167' post='2149439']
thanks, does it have US written on it somewhere? its not in the serial no.
[/quote]

I've got one of these. It will have Crafted in Japan on the base of the neck. The USA reference is simply to the pickup. Some models had Japanese pickups, whereas others have "proper" US made pickups. The latter don't actually have US written on them anywhere as far as I know.

They're cracking basses, and that is a very good price, even allowing for import duties etc

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1374517479' post='2149634']
I may be wrong but isn't the one designated PB70-**US made of alder, and the non US designated model made of basswood?
[/quote]

Thats right ... US spec had Alder body as far as I know.
My CIJ P bass has alder body and US pickups with 42mm nut width.

Edited by voxpop

Like most Precisions throughout the decades, there is really little difference. Both 70's RI's have 40 mm nut and the larger TV friendly logos. The US will have alder and US pups, same as the PB62-**US.
They will be stamped US in the neck pocket if that is what they are.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1374517479' post='2149634']
I may be wrong but isn't the one designated PB70-**US made of alder, and the non US designated model made of basswood?
[/quote]

all current PB70s on the fender japan site are either alder or ash, even if they aren't the US model. don't know if this is the same for older models,

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1374658795' post='2151331']
all current PB70s on the fender japan site are either alder or ash, even if they aren't the US model. don't know if this is the same for older models,
[/quote]

It ain't :)

this neck pocket doesn't appear to be stamped US. might it be stamped on the end of the neck? this isn't photographed. but if it was stamped i would have thought he would have photo'd it.

Edited by tedmanzie

The neck pocket won't be stamped US.

The 'US' pickups are not made-in-USA items - they're Fender Japan's attempt to make a US-spec pickup, which isn't quite the same thing. There are no markings on the pickups to identify them.

The bass looks kosher but I don't believe the shipping costs. There's a stickied thread somewhere about importing basses from Japan and you'd normally expect to add on roughly £100 to the price to cover costs of shipping and import duties.

Edit: it's here. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/139-importing-guitars/

Edited by pete.young