Why become a member? ×

Nooby Q: Little Bastard 30 into miBass 550?

BassTractor

Nooby Q:
Little Bastard 30 into miBass 550. Can one do that?

I was thinking of taking the LB30 signal from the Effects Send and shove it into the Effects Return of the MiBass 550.
Maybe that's all wrong and maybe there is still another way, what do I know.
Any advice?

I'd have a few 108s connected to the Little Bastard so as not to get another divorce - from the LB's output trafo this time.

Got the idea from Ashdown themselves, in the way that their Little Bastard 550 essentially is the pre from the Little Bastard 30 with the power stage from the MiBass 550.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

I think that'd work, although I don't know either of those amps. However...

...I'm probably missing something, but I'm struggling the think what you're trying to achieve. If the MiBass 550 has the same pre as the LB, wouldn't you just end up with the same thing but with 2 boxes, and only using half of each ?

Thanks, Barkin.

Yup, mate, you's missen sum'ten. Note the difference between [b][i]MiBass[/i][/b] 550 and [b][i]Little Bastard[/i][/b] 550, see. :)

The Little Bastard 550 is the one with the pre from the LB 30 and the power stage from the MiBass 550 - in all essence.
The pre in the MiBass 550 OTOH is different, and probably consists of surface-mount miniature electrickery.

My own Little Bastard being the 30W version, if I go all stadium* like, to still get most of that LB sound I'd want to put its pre into the power stage of a MiBass 550.

Cabwise, I'd put two LB 112 cabs on the MiBass 550, and an Orange PPC108 on the output trafo of the Little Bastard 30.

[hums: "Oh Nubie Q. (dum dum dum dum dum dum dum) Oh Nubie Q."]

b,
b

* stadium: [n] a place that is not a bedroom
:D

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1374422699' post='2148540']

Yup, mate, you's missen sum'ten. Note the difference between [b][i]MiBass[/i][/b] 550 and [b][i]Little Bastard[/i][/b] 550, see. :)

[/quote]

Ah - right...now, where'd I put my glasses...?

Interesting experiment. As long as you have a load on the LB30 output transformer, then it is worth a punt. However, that PPC thingy will probably struggle if you have any sort of volume coming out of the LB, although assuming the volume is post-effects this won't be a problem. I built myself an 8 Ohm dummy load using a set of high-power wire-wound resistors.

I own both the LB30 and LB550, and in my opinion the latter does come quite close to the former tonally. However, you won't get the special sound of output tubes going into saturation of course - but the pre-amp sound makes up for a lot of that.

I also had the MiBass 550 for a while, and found it lacking. At the time I was convinced it was the pre-amp stage that was the problem, and now I've been using the LB550 for gigs I think I may have been correct (for once). It's the only class D head I've enjoyed using, and which has come up to my expectations.

I'd be interested to hear your findings, should you decide to try this out.

Cheers

Geoff

Thanks big time guys!
This is litterally ("literally" doesn't ring well with me) five minutes before I'm off to fetch one.
Have decided for the 550 even if the 220 sounds better - if for nothing else then at any rate for the silver front that is easier to read for my old eyes.

As to the volume being post effects, I just assume it is, but it doesn't even really matter, coz I'd always be careful, and also use two of those PPCs.
I'll surely make me a dummy load if this turns out like I hope it will, and Geoff's experience sounds very promising and encouraging indeed.

Also, I'll take to heart what Matybigfro wrote once i've translated it to Norwegian and understood the point about the stereo jack. :)
I had no idea that one could buy dummy loads with outputs. That sounds just bloody great!

Yes, I'll report back as soon as I can.

Now stop keeping me away from the car keys! :D

b,
b

Edited by BassTractor

Hey Bert - give Ashdown a call or email, if you're lucky Dave Green will most likely answer you & there ain't a lot he don't know about such things :)
http://ashdownmusic.com/support/technical/

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, guys. Real life 'n' stuff.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1374578574' post='2150316']
I've just checked my LB30 schematic and the volume control is post effects, in fact it is right before the power stage.
[/quote]

Thanks, Geoff! I'll simply keep the volume on it down then.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1374589641' post='2150567']
This may be a dumb sugestion but what about selling the LB30 and the MiBass500 and use the money to fund a LB550 purchase? Are the prices too far appart? I'm not familiar with the Ashdown ranges and prices on this new units.
[/quote]

See, the LB550 was lim.ed. - - 50 units only. Also, IF it were to be imported to Norway, it'd cost 2,000 quid, seeing as it's already 1,800 dollars in the US.
My LB30 and MiBass 550 both were on deep offer, and cost me a total of roughly 600 quid. :)

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1374591198' post='2150599']
What about using the lb30 for stage volume, and DI into FOH? I've done this and works rather well: the DI out is tapped from the output transformer.
[/quote]

If I get to do stadiums (which in my case would mean local venues with maybe 300 seats), then we'd have no FOH at all. But yes, that would work well, I gather. I'd just be very wary about pressing the LB30 in a venue that is not my living room.

I'll have to get back to you on my experiences.
Sadly haven't been able to test it yet.

b,
b

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1374578574' post='2150316']
I've just checked my LB30 schematic and the volume control is post effects, in fact it is right before the power stage.
Cheers
Geoff
[/quote]

hey Geoff, are the schematics available online?

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1376892205' post='2180323']
This is the link I found on Talk bass, via a quick Google search:

[url="http://www.captnmoto.co.uk/Stats/LB30_Schematic.pdf"]http://www.captnmoto...0_Schematic.pdf[/url]

Cheers
Geoff
[/quote]

Nice one, thanks Geoff! Interesting to see its got a paraphase splitter, Ive never seen one of those in a modern amp.