Why become a member? ×

MTD Grendel any good?

loushort

[b]Has anyone owned or own a MTD Grendel?[/b]
[b]are they good/bad[/b]
[b]any pros or cons am thinking about seriously tracking one down [/b]
[b]i played one years ago in a local music shop which had a single musicman pick up[/b]
[b]which didn't look half as good as this one[/b]
[b]any help would be great [/b]
[b]thanks [/b]

I had a 5 string with 2 J p/ups some years back. It was good. Very light, great neck and a modern sound. I sold it to buy a MM Stingray 5 that weighed a ton & then sold that & another bass and bought a US MTD.

The current version of the Grendel is called the KZ I think. Take a look on the Bass Direct site.

Edited by PTB

I had a Grendel 5-string for a while, so I hope I can provide a bit of information.

But first: The bass on the picture is definitely a MTD Beast, the passive version of the Grendel.
The Beast uses a Hipshot Vintage bridge instead of the Hipshot B-style (MUCH better imho) on the Grendel, I think it was only available in solid colour finishes (instead of a flamed maple top on the Grendel). Oh, and of course it doesn't have the active Bartolini 2-band-electronics with the mid switch.
Both models have a poplar body, maple neck with wenge or maple fretboard (usually wenge), 35"-scale on the newer ones and 34" on some earlier ones, passive Bartolini J-pickups and 19mm stringspacing at the bridge.

Afaik there was no czech-made model with a MM-pickup, I guess you must have played a Tobias Growler.....that's the only bass I know that comes close. :search:

About the Grendel:
Pretty nice bass for the money. Sounds very "jazzy", but a bit more refined and with more punch and flexibility.
The neck has the asymmetrical MTD-shape, thinner under the high strings and thicker towards the b-string. I didn't really like the neck profile too much, but that's a matter of taste I guess. Playability was good though.

My Grendel was a pretty light bass, i guess somewhere below 4 kg. On the other hand the light poplar body caused quite a bit of neck-dive, but it was manageable.
Mine had a 35"-scale (no experience with the ones sporting a 34"-scale) and a pretty nice and tight b-string, so no complaints there.
Build quality was also really good, way above the newer korean-made MTD Kingston-line.

Thanks for the pointers guys all very helpful
Iight weight and comfortable are the key for me as well as powerful enough to cut thru a drummer and bloody loud guitarist
I picked up an Epiphone Toby last week for under £200 and that sounds great all the Jazz bass sounds but with more definition, I'm now
gassing for a MTD Kingston KZ four string and wondered what the Grendel was like as it came before
plus Ms G A Dorsey seemed to like hers a lot
nearly swapped a Reggie Hamilton standard Jazz bass for a five string version from a guy on here at the end of last year
but felt I should keep one fender in the collection......just one mind
here is a picture of the bass similar that I played just imagine it blue with four strings and fretted

[quote name='stu_g' timestamp='1374395311' post='2148224']
heres mine its different from the mtd as it only has a two way switch and vol ,blend ,tone really great bass though[attachment=139548:stadium bass.jpg]
[/quote]
thats a stunning bass thanks for sharing

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20SOLD/MTD%20Grendel%201996%20SOLD/2uizuyw.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Basses%20SOLD/MTD%20Grendel%201996%20SOLD/2uizuyw.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I bought this at a stage in my bass-playing life before I had finally realised that I just don't get on with Jazz basses and derivatives.

Despite not getting on with this bass because it was a Jazz, I remember it as being superbly made and ridiculously good value for money.

I played a Kingston once and was surprised Mike Tobias would allow his name to be associated with it.

Other than the core shape it had very little in common with the USA535 I had at the time.

I was looking for a back up to the 535 but 10 minutes with a Kingston clearly demonstrated that it wasn't really up to the job :(

Maybe they've got better since then though.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1374655074' post='2151276']
I played a Kingston once and was surprised Mike Tobias would allow his name to be associated with it.

Other than the core shape it had very little in common with the USA535 I had at the time.

I was looking for a back up to the 535 but 10 minutes with a Kingston clearly demonstrated that it wasn't really up to the job :(

Maybe they've got better since then though.
[/quote]Apart from it not holding up to the USA 535 what else didn't you like about the Kingston?

i think the czech made basses are real quality, wenge fretboard, mine has a proper flame maple cap combined with the schaller tuners hipshot bridge and bartolini electronics for the price i got mine for it was a bargain and ive never been a fan of jazz basses as such but it just feels and plays so nicely