Why become a member? ×

5 string sidewinder/EB-0/Dimarzio Model one style pick up, is there such a thing?

Biaeothanata-Bassist

Hey guys

I was wondering if any one knows if there's such thing as a 5 string version the Gibson Mudbucker/Dimarzio Model One/Will Power sidewinder pickups as used in the neck position on the EB-0 basses and Billy Sheehan's basses. Only reason is I've got a custom P-Bass with an extra reversed P pick up by the bridge and a Will Power in the neck (just like James LoMenzo has on his Yamaha custom shop bass and what he did to his Attitude LTDII bass) but I'm thinking of making a 5 string version of it to go with it but yeah, i need to get a pick up for the neck position like the Dimarzio Will Powers.

Does anyone know of a pick up that would fit that requirement?

Thanks

B-B

Sounds like something you'll have to get custom made. This guy makes his own mudbuckers, maybe he could make a 5 string variant?

[url="http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/EB-0.shtml"]http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/EB-0.shtml[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1374589450' post='2150565']
SGD Lutherie makes sidewinder pickups.
[/quote]

OP - You might need to be prepared to wait for a long time if you go this route, according to [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/anybody-here-recently-receive-their-sgd-lutherie-pickups-order-754543/index47.html"]this thread[/url] on TB...caveat emptor

Just another idea - you could use an EMG DC bucker. You could even completely turn the tone down and hide the control in the cavity and not actually rout a hole for a tone control. With the tone off they have a nice smooth deep tone - especially when so close to the neck.

Thanks for all the replies guys, i've only just seen this. Completely forgot about it.

To get one custom made seems really expensive so i'm not going to go down that route but thanks for the recommendations.

To me it seems a real pain in the back side to get hold of one and an expensive process so I might just leave it for now and either tune a 4 string down to B E A D or just get a 5 but not bother with the woofer.
Oh and with the EMG recommendation, I really am not a fan of their pick ups any more. I used them on 2 of my basses and didn't like them so i'm sticking to Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio pick ups.

Thanks though!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1374441703' post='2148870']
I've seen one somewhere... Think it was over on a custom build on TB.
[/quote]

Happened on the thread I originally saw this on the other day and remembered someone was asking. The guy on TB had Seymour Duncan custom build one for him (Dimarzio weren't interested in doing it). His conclusion was that it sounded like ass and that it was almost unuseable as it was so much louder than the other pickups on the bass.

Edited by Bigwan