Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR605

TRBboy

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1372679835' post='2128395']
Not a popular model then....... :D
[/quote]
Hi, I owned a SR 605 up until about 3 weeks ago, I used it as a gigging back up to my SR 1205. It is a tremendous instrument and I cannot praise them enough....they are very tactile and have to be played to be appreciated as pictures don't just don't do them justice.

The design is just so well thought out. Supremely playable, great elecs & pups, wonderful punchy tones ...great hardware. Mine weighed under 8lbs, tremendous for a 5 string bass.

Highly recomended.

Many thanks for that cloudburst! I kind of thought they'd bea little lighter than that due to the thin body, but not exactly heavy nonetheless.

How does the the 605 compare to your 1205? If you don't mind me asking, how come you moved the 605 on?

Cheers.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1372700789' post='2128806']
Many thanks for that cloudburst! I kind of thought they'd bea little lighter than that due to the thin body, but not exactly heavy nonetheless.

How does the the 605 compare to your 1205? If you don't mind me asking, how come you moved the 605 on?

Cheers.
[/quote]
No worries!

I was really impressed by the quality of the 605 - the woodworking, fit & finish was perfect. The sculptured swamp Ash body was beautifully executed. The 605 was almost as good as the 1205 - not a huge difference in quality.

I moved it on as I needed a four string P type bass for a new rock project, and during these fiscal times I am operating under a strict "one out, one in" policy.

Great bass.Try one out, I quite liked the look of them, - but as soon as I got hands on I totally loved it.

For what its worth I think Ibanez have totally smashed it with the SR design..perfect balance, sound and playability.

Edited by White Cloud

I bought one (used) to supplement my 505. Really like the natural ash body, and it has the mid frequency switch which the 505 (mine is an older one) doesn't.

Absolutely love it, as I do the 505. The 505 has half rounds on it which I put on to try and tame it a bit. The 605 has rounds on and I'm liking it like that, doesn't seem quite as trebley as the 505, which suits me well.

I don't find it at all heavy, but then when you're my weight a few extra pounds makes little difference.

Superb instrument at a cracking good price.

Thanks again guys, very helpful!

How do you find the B string? I haven't played a 5 string Soundgear for a couple of years, but I seem to remember finding the B string a little rattly and floppy. Since then however, I have started playing much more lightly and using lighter gauge strings.

Basically, I love my two Sandbergs but they are exactly the same, just different colours. I'm just wondering if I would be better to sell one and get something else to give me a bit of variety. It would need to be 34" scale, light, comfortable, and with a slim neck. ....... Which is why I was eyeing the Soundgears up (although I have liked the look of the 605 since it came out). :D

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1372713263' post='2129137']
Thanks again guys, very helpful!

How do you find the B string? I haven't played a 5 string Soundgear for a couple of years, but I seem to remember finding the B string a little rattly and floppy. Since then however, I have started playing much more lightly and using lighter gauge strings.

Basically, I love my two Sandbergs but they are exactly the same, just different colours. I'm just wondering if I would be better to sell one and get something else to give me a bit of variety. It would need to be 34" scale, light, comfortable, and with a slim neck. ....... Which is why I was eyeing the Soundgears up (although I have liked the look of the 605 since it came out). :D
[/quote]
I just cant live with 35" scale basses...period.

I must admit I had reservations about 34" scale length 5 string basses...but I found the low B on both the 605 and the 1205 to be fantastic - tight and on the money. trust me, these basses sound really great live..the low B is killer. I play with a low action and play a lot of fast finger style with a reasonably light touch...these basses are excellent for this.

This is wholly subjective, but I prefer the inherent tone of the 605 over the 505 - tighter/punchier mid range...less pronounced low end response. Believe it or not it actually reminds me of the tone I had with a Steinberger XL back in the 80's. The 1205 has a different sound again...it doesn't really impress at low volume but is very impressive when cranked up.

I used to only play 35" 5ers, and usually found the B a bit crappy on 34" 5ers. Then I discovered Sandberg and realized that you can have a GREAT B string on a 34" scale bass, you just have to find the right one. Suddenly, my trusty TRB's felt big and clumsy by comparison and disappeared soon after.

I really wish there was a decent music shop nearby that stocked them, I think I would have to a/b one with my Sandberg before making a decision. They look and sound good though. .... Just wish there were more good quality YouTube vids!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1372791081' post='2130100']
I used to only play 35" 5ers, and usually found the B a bit crappy on 34" 5ers. Then I discovered Sandberg and realized that you can have a GREAT B string on a 34" scale bass, you just have to find the right one. Suddenly, my trusty TRB's felt big and clumsy by comparison and disappeared soon after.

I really wish there was a decent music shop nearby that stocked them, I think I would have to a/b one with my Sandberg before making a decision. They look and sound good though. .... Just wish there were more good quality YouTube vids!
[/quote]
When I set out to buy a 5 string I wanted a TRB, absolutely set my heart on one - tried it and just could not get on with it at all. Don't know why but it just killed my fretting hand. Huge disappointment as I love Yamaha & the TRB looked killer. Tried a 605 instead, had seen pictures online & thought it looked okay, saw it hanging on the wall & thought the same...picked it up and played it...blew me away. They have to be played to be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

I know it's an old thread, but really tempted by one again, and I found this video on YouTube I just had to share:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaK7elkqb1w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaK7elkqb1w[/url]

GREAT playing, GREAT tone, and a GREAT bassface! :D

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1421613347' post='2663333']
I know it's an old thread, but really tempted by one again, and I found this video on YouTube I just had to share:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaK7elkqb1w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaK7elkqb1w[/url]

GREAT playing, GREAT tone, and a GREAT bassface! :D
[/quote]

So weird but this is next on my list and I found that video today too! Love the idea of fitting it with some Aguilar DCB pickups, stringing it E-C and getting an ebony ramp fitted! My local store are doing 24 month 0% finance over £500 too, so might bite the bullet before it ends on 8th of February!

This is a really great bass for the money. I've played one extensively and need to get one to call my own now :-)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1421615577' post='2663375']

So weird but this is next on my list and I found that video today too! Love the idea of fitting it with some Aguilar DCB pickups, stringing it E-C and getting an ebony ramp fitted! My local store are doing 24 month 0% finance over £500 too, so might bite the bullet before it ends on 8th of February!

This is a really great bass for the money. I've played one extensively and need to get one to call my own now :-)
[/quote]

That does sound like a good deal! I've been keeping an eye out for a used one, but they don't seem to appear very often. Maybe because they're good?

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1421662240' post='2663615']

That does sound like a good deal! I've been keeping an eye out for a used one, but they don't seem to appear very often. Maybe because they're good?
[/quote]

Bit the bullet and bought it today. £16 a month at 0% interest, which is nothing really. I'm going to restring it over the next few days. Really happy with it so far though :-)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1422195136' post='2669686']

Bit the bullet and bought it today. £16 a month at 0% interest, which is nothing really. I'm going to restring it over the next few days. Really happy with it so far though :-)
[/quote]

Man let me know it gets on with the high C - I've been planning to do that myself when I get the cash!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1422195136' post='2669686']
[/quote]

Nice one mate, hope you enjoy it! :D

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1422207295' post='2669850']
£16 a month?! Where from? And what's the final amount?

Cheers

Alex
[/quote]

The shop I work at offers 0% interest on instruments over £500 but it finishes next week (hence making the decision to apply for the finance today!). You pay 25% deposit on acceptance as an initial deposit and then the remaining amount over 24 months. I paid £126 today and then 24 payments of £15.70 which is £503 in total. Bargain really :-)

Edited by skej21