Why become a member? ×

£500 for this? Any takers?

This is the first bass I had the experience to play. I wont say I "owned" it. It was one on loan I lifted from under my bro's bed.

It was crap - no truss rod poor pups etc.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOX-CLUBMAN-II-1960S-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-WITH-CASE-/231006883084?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35c9154d0c"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOX-CLUBMAN-II-1960S-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-WITH-CASE-/231006883084?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35c9154d0c[/url]

Is this worth the money, even for the history?

As a musical instrument it might not be that good, but looking at the photos it appears to be in completely original condition still with the bridge cover and the non-standard output socket. Not bad for an instrument that is 50 years old. Normally when these basses come up for sale at best they are incomplete, but more usually are very worn/damaged or have too many modifications. It will most likely sell to a collector.

Never played one before or even heard what they sound like but I've got to admit I think it looks lovely!

EDIT: Also, I'm looking at the strap and wondering why it's attached to the headstock as opposed to the other strap pin. Are they neck heavy or is that likely to just be a personal preference of the seller?

Paul

Edited by paulpirie8

[quote name='paulpirie8' timestamp='1372411084' post='2125349']

EDIT: Also, I'm looking at the strap and wondering why it's attached to the headstock as opposed to the other strap pin.

[/quote]
Every Vox I have ever played had such bad neck dive, it seemed more natural to play the thing vertically like an upside down upright....

I have two 1965 VOX Clubman basses. It may surprise some on here that actually they were decent basses. I took them to a luthier friend i know and he was a surprised at how good it was and while i was at his place a bass player we both know came in and played it. He wanted to buy it (i'm not selling) but i'm going to lend it to him for a gig as he was so impressed. You could gig with it no problem.

There is no neck dive whatsoever and they are a really punchy little bass. You're not going to get it to sound like a P Bass but that was never the point.

P.S. My ones didn't cost anywhere near the price of the one advertised. :)

Here's a clip of one in action.

[media]http://youtu.be/QvZjldFCzco[/media]

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='paulpirie8' timestamp='1372411084' post='2125349']
Also, I'm looking at the strap and wondering why it's attached to the headstock as opposed to the other strap pin. Are they neck heavy or is that likely to just be a personal preference of the seller?

Paul
[/quote]
I'm going to sound like a bit of an anorak here but the strap pin is located just lower on the top horn of the body. Ialso have a couple of VOX Bassmasters which are similar and the strap pin is in the same place on some models but players sometimes moved the pin a couple of inches higher so it was on the top of the horn.

Edited by BetaFunk

My first bass, mid/late sixies, in white. Bought so-called 'new' from an odd shop in Addlestone for £20; it may have been excess stock, or a traded-in instrument. played it for less than a year, and took up drums. Cause and effect..? Perhaps. It didn't impress me then; it wouldn't impress me now. At that price..? Strictly for collectors (it's in fine condition for it's age...) or someone very, very nostalgic.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1372435096' post='2125776']
My first bass, mid/late sixies, in white. Bought so-called 'new' from an odd shop in Addlestone for £20; it may have been excess stock, or a traded-in instrument. played it for less than a year, and took up drums. Cause and effect..? Perhaps. It didn't impress me then; it wouldn't impress me now. At that price..? Strictly for collectors (it's in fine condition for it's age...) or someone very, very nostalgic.
[/quote]
Perhaps you were unfortunate and got a duff one. The ones i have are nice and light and sound great.

Everyone i've shown the VOXs to love them. I haven't had one negative comment about them and i can't say that about any other bass i have.

On saying there's not a chance i'd ever pay £500 for one.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1372457002' post='2126108']
Perhaps you were unfortunate and got a duff one. The ones i have are nice and light and sound great...[/quote]

It's probably more a reflection of my 'equipment' at the time, rather than the bass itself, especially given my more than limited expertise in the subject. Linear Concord 30 amp, home-made bass reflex 1x15 speaker cab (Fane Pop, probably, or worse...). No, I don't think I could fairly blame the bass, which was, indeed, lightweight and fairly well made. I'd have sounded dreadful with a Rickenbacker 4001 or Fender Jazz, anyway... :lol: