Why become a member? ×

Damaged my bass.........gutted!

Leen2112

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1374186263' post='2146362']

A couple of weeks ago I was careless and rested my Stingray against the amp while I was trying to plug some cables on the back... and the bass fell.
Ouch!
The back of the neck has now two dents. Not huge... but noticeable. It's a maple neck, oil finished... I remembered this technique and it's tempting me to give it a try, but I was a bit worried about messing with damp cloths and heat on the neck of the bass...
Hmmm... shall I?
[/quote]I bought an oiled Ray with a dent in the back of the neck. I used a wet, cotton tea towel and a soldering iron on the spot and it lifted out a treat. I doubled the towel over and added the iron gently until it started to steam (not much pressure). It took a while but you could then watch the progress until it was just right.

There's an important lesson for all from this accident - When using gig bags [u]never[/u] zip to the side of the body, always [i]towards[/i] (is this how it's spelled?) the headstock! Doing this the bass only falls if the zip brakes.

edited for spelling

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1374186330' post='2146363']

How about dents on the back of an oil finished neck (MusicMan Stingray)... any danger?
[/quote]

That's really easy to fix. Do you mean "any danger of Grangur coming to the rescue?" If so, PM me.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1374251914' post='2146942']
That's really easy to fix. Do you mean "any danger of Grangur coming to the rescue?" If so, PM me.
[/quote]

Ha! If only you lived in Edinburgh!

I'm away at the moment, but I will have a go when I return. I may just try first on another bass I don't care so much about. I have an old Squier Jazz with a few bumps on the back of its neck, so I'll try there first.

You may get a PM or two if I get scared... or if it turns out so well and easy that I will just have to PM you to say thanks :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1374494432' post='2149282']
Ha! If only you lived in Edinburgh!

I'm away at the moment, but I will have a go when I return. I may just try first on another bass I don't care so much about. I have an old Squier Jazz with a few bumps on the back of its neck, so I'll try there first.

You may get a PM or two if I get scared... or if it turns out so well and easy that I will just have to PM you to say thanks :)
[/quote]
Aghh damn! I'll just tell Mrs G to unpack the car... damn, damn, damn. I woz lookin' forward to a few days in your spare room too :P