Why become a member? ×

Gretsch Electromatic

Guest gazzatriumph

Guest gazzatriumph

Hi Peoples, I'm looking at buying a new Gretsch electromatic long scale bass, any tips on what strings to use for rock covers, also has anyone any ideas where I can get a hard case for it that's not going to cost too much, cheers

Edited by gazzatriumph

Strings for rock covers? Well, I'd imagine a bog-standard set of roundwounds would do the job in most cases. Rotosound, Ernie Balls (if you're not fussy) available [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/c/543/strings/bass-guitar-strings-sets/"]here[/url].

Case? Thomann do cheapies, but I bought my last two cases secondhand - one from a music shop and the other from Cash Converters. About £25 after a bit of haggling. Many 'standard' economy bass cases are designed for Fender-type basses, so best take your Gretsch with you to make sure it fits if you go this route.

Just got a Warwick Pro Star Bass yesterday from Germany which was the cheapest with a Warwick hollowbody gig bag. I tried the gretsch and didn't like it myself. Thought the Gibson Midtown sounded better. Pleased with the Warwick as you can adjust both pickups separately , although I had to adjust the intonation and strings a little.

Guest gazzatriumph

Cheers for the replies, I must admit I love the look of the Gretsch that's what attracted me to it last year but obviously need to try it out first. Although not the most expensive bass in the world but its a lot of money for me. As for hard case looks like I would have to buy an acoustic bass case and put a pillow in it

Guest gazzatriumph

[i][i]Looks nice Mr Fretbuzz, I play mainly pick but can see why you would prefer neck pup where it is, I prefer a long scale grayn but thanks for input[/i][/i]