Why become a member? ×

string and tuning help plz

broomer

hey.

just joined another band, who currently play all ther songs tuned to C sharp. im used to standard tuning so found it a bit weird.
basically i have a four string and was wondering wot the best choice of stings are for lower tuning???
cheers

cheers,
will changing the strings to a higher gauge then make things difficult when it comes to standard tuning??
i was thinking of gettin sum elixirs which i think are 45,65,85,105 cos atm im jusing lights

oh course there is the other approach which is to get a 5 string too :)

45-65-85-105 is generally the most popular gauge for standard tuning. This gauge won't feel too heavy and they'll sound nice and chunky. For drop C you'll need heavier than this if you want to retain punch in your sound, i agree with the other guys up there that are saying 55-110.

I used to play my Jazz bass in CGCF, I tried out many different gauges and brands and finally settled on putting together odd sets. My gauge of choice for this tuning was a set of Rotosound 55-110 with the 110 changed for a 115. Having the 115 for the low C made the strings feel much more balanced across the board.

You cant have your cake and eat it. You either set the bass up for tuning down 3 semitones or for standard tuning. Alternatively use the bottom 4 of a 5 string set, get a 5 string or do what I do and have basses with standard and detuned - I go to D. Sounds like a perfect excuse for indulging in some GAS.

[quote name='broomer' post='213967' date='Jun 6 2008, 04:54 PM']cheers,
will changing the strings to a higher gauge then make things difficult when it comes to standard tuning??
i was thinking of gettin sum elixirs which i think are 45,65,85,105 cos atm im jusing lights

oh course there is the other approach which is to get a 5 string too :)[/quote]

I know nothing about tuning but Elixirs are fooking awesome!