Why become a member? ×

Stingray Comparisons - with MP3s

paulbkeeves

Dear fellow BCers,

Ever wondered how various Stingrays from different eras and with different specs sound?

Well, I have. So i made some comparison recordings.

The basses used are as follows:

[b]1994 White Stingray 4[/b]. RW, 2 band EQ (Bass full, treble backed off a bit). Elixirs 45-105 (1 gig old).
[b]1988 Black Stingray 4[/b]. MN. 2 band EQ (Bass full, treble backed off a bit), New Elixirs.
[b]1988 Red Stingray 4[/b]. MN. 3 band EQ (Bass full, treble backed off a bit, mids full on one recording and half on t'other). Elixirs (pretty new)
[b]2011 White Stingray Classic 5[/b]. RW. 2 band EQ (Bass full, treble backed off a bit). Pretty new Ernie Ball 45-130

Song - Ain't No Mountain High Enough (1st verse and chorus, with drum loop).

DI from Genz Benz Streamliner 900 (set pretty flat) into Focusrite interface then Logic.
No FX or EQ-ing.

If anybody would like to add their Ray to the list let me know and I'll send the drum track and transcription of the song.

Happy listening!

White 1994 2EQ RW: [attachment=137346:White 1994 2band RW.mp3]

White 1994 2EQ RW with pick: [attachment=137354:White 1994 2band RW with Pi.mp3]

Black 1988 2EQ MN: [attachment=137348:Black 88 2EQ MN.mp3]

Black 1988 2EQ MN with pick: [attachment=137347:Black 88 2EQ MN with pick.mp3]

Red 1988 3EQ MN mids half: [attachment=137351:Red 88 3EQ Mids half.mp3]

Red 1988 3EQ MN mids up full: [attachment=137352:Red 88 3EQ Mids up.mp3]

Red 1988 3EQ MN mids up full, with pick: [attachment=137353:Red 88 3EQ with Pick mids up.mp3]

White 2011 Classic 5 2EQ RW: [attachment=137349:Classic 5 2EQ RW.mp3]

White 2011 Classic 5 2EQ RW with pick: [attachment=137350:Classic 5 RW with pick.mp3]

Drum track: [attachment=137366:Drums only.mp3]

Edited by paulbkeeves

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1371802049' post='2118214']
Excellent post.
What bass is which on the recordings, please? :unsure:
[/quote]

Aha! I See. The original MP3's had the names of the basses in the title but they have uploaded with different names for some reason.

Thanks for the heads up, i'll amend now...

Just had a listen and the red '88 and the Classic sound best ( and remarkably similar ) to me . There could be all kinds of reasons for that - strings , E.Q , or me being deluded - but an interesting experiment nevertheless . We want more of this kind of thing !

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1371889857' post='2119122']
I cant open the links?
[/quote]

I've just checked them and they work fine for me. I'm using a Mac with Firefox BTW. I uploaded them as MP3's but the site seems to change them into a different file.

If you still have trouble listening then PM me your email address and i'll send you the MP3's

Edited by paulbkeeves

In fact, in case anybody has trouble with the links: here are wetransfer.com links to download MP3's (they are available until July 1st).

[url="http://we.tl/IdYTeXQddA"]http://we.tl/IdYTeXQddA[/url]

[url="http://we.tl/WUKElMeH0m"]http://we.tl/WUKElMeH0m[/url]

Edited by paulbkeeves

[quote name='stinson' timestamp='1371891683' post='2119152']
P bass sounds awesome!
[/quote]

It's the one in my profile pic. I bought it from the original owner who bought it in 69 and who hadn't changed the strings in the last 30 years! But as it sounded great i decided to keep them on. I've just toured (and recorded) for a month with it too and them strings are still holding up.

Excellent - theres something magical about the sound of a Stingray - it would be really interesting to see how one of the Stingray versions sits within the whole song mix - call me a heathen but I prefer the ray to the p any day - especially with flat wounds - I suspect the ray would sit rather better than the P bass in an overall mix if you're going to play it in hi fi rather than on a dansette.