Why become a member? ×

Gary Willis fretless hunt

bassjamm

Hi people,

I'm trying to hunt down a GWB105, not the cheapest GWB35 model, nor the top of the range GWB1 or current models, the mid range one that is no longer available.

Does anyone know where there's one available?

If so, can i ask that you please pm me the details, either UK based or overseas...i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Jamie

[quote name='bassjamm' post='213544' date='Jun 5 2008, 10:48 PM']Hi people,

I'm trying to hunt down a GWB105, not the cheapest GWB35 model, nor the top of the range GWB1 or current models, the mid range one that is no longer available.

Does anyone know where there's one available?

If so, can i ask that you please pm me the details, either UK based or overseas...i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Jamie[/quote]

Hey Jamie, You and me both !

I even mailed Willis to ask why the 1005 was so expensive and why they dropped the 105.

He say Ibanez didnt want to dilute the 1005 by making a cheaper, almost identical model, but from what I hear the 1005 isnt selling at all.

I dont like the 35, although I know plenty do (Luke Ward likes his). I once had a £100 Harley Benton from Thoman that played better than the 35!

The GWB is a superb bass for very little money. It has the best B I have heard on a sub-£1000 bass, is lightweight and excellently balanced and really sings. It is only let down a little by the low output, but then a normal Bart can be dropped in if that really is a problem. I have seen 5 or 6 of these in the Gallery (and owned one until I got bored sounding like a poor Willis imitation!) and once set up every one felt great. They even come with the same strings Willis uses - D'addario EXP165. Maybe the one you tried had a poor setup? The 1005 has apparently sold literally a handful worldwide since it was released - one has been floating around in the UK for the last year or so but at such a ridiculous price no-one wants to touch it with a bargepole!
Going back to the original post, you'll be very hard pressed to find a 105 unless one pops up on eBay. It has been discontinued for nearly 2 years iirc. There was one online retailer doing them a few months ago but I checked recently and they're sold out.
Mat

[quote name='XB26354' post='215432' date='Jun 9 2008, 01:50 PM']The 1005 has apparently sold literally a handful worldwide since it was released - one has been floating around in the UK for the last year or so but at such a ridiculous price no-one wants to touch it with a bargepole![/quote]

You know how much or who was selling it!?

Thanks for all the input guys, and for the PM's Mark!!!

I'm having no problem finding a GWB35.

I just remember playing an awesome, what i guess was a GWB105...it was black though, like the GWB35...at the gallery about 2 years ago. It knocked spots off the 35, which i still liked!!!

The 1005's just seem stupid for what they are...i mean, at that price you could get a top-end luthier to build you a much nicer bass, with custom options and all sorts. I mean, my Marleaux was less than the 1005, and it's a phenominal fretless, absolutely awesome!!!

I had a GWB1 which originally cost £1499 (it was also the only one in the UK at the time!). It was nice, but nowhere near worth the money. The 1005 has the same ebonol fingerboard as the 35! It beats me why Japanese handcraft skills cost £1300 on a Sadowsky Metro and £2K on an Ibanez :)
That black one you tried was probably a GWB2 - some were being sold off even a couple of years ago - like the GWB1 but in black.

Edited by XB26354

[quote name='bassjamm' post='215821' date='Jun 9 2008, 11:08 PM']I thought the GWB2's were the fretted version?[/quote]

Yes they were, and the colour is a transparent stain rather than the solid colour of the 35.

[quote name='XB26354']I had a GWB1 which originally cost £1499 (it was also the only one in the UK at the time!)[/quote]

Ah yes, I remember enquiring about that one with the distributor at the time, ended up getting mine from the States.