Why become a member? ×

strange feedback fix on my last gig

artisan

played at the Groves in Knaresborough last saturday night & had bad feedback problems all through the first set,ended up with almost no bottom on my sound at all,pro-plat notch filter all the way to the left,sounded sh*te.
during our short interval i checked all the usual suspects all to no avail when on a whim i took my bassmax off the E string side of the bridge & stuck it in the G string side.
result - no feedback at all & a very nice tone to boot,even with my amp on full power.
the weird thing is last time i tried it in the G side it sounded week & (you guessed it ) sh*te.
ok ramble over just thought i'd share incase anyone else suffers sudden feedback problems.

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1371487249' post='2114465']
Not when you have something that has been turned into a dirty great microphone in the middle of the stage.
[/quote]

Has anyone here tried recording the output from their DB during a loud gig? Very revealing..

Just a guess, but could it have been a phase thing? When one wing of the bridge is going up the other is going down, so perhaps you were just at that point on the stage where the wave was at its peak, so by switching to the other wing you inverted that and cut the feedback..., if you see what I mean... :)

hi Daf,yes could indeed be exactly that (i'm too thick to think of that) but it certainly cured it & i was so pleased that i dragged my bass to the bar to order a celebratory pint which the landlord didn't charge me for.
so no feedback & a free pint - result :biggrin:

Had same problem at 2 gigs recently, I'd replaced the gaffa on the f holes with foam and worked for 15 gigs or so but then had the awful full gig gripping db between legs for whole gig. Gaffes back in spades and problem solved, doesn't look pretty but makes for a better sounding and more enjoyable gig to play.