Why become a member? ×

What the f*** is Freak Beat?

BetaFunk

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1371038143' post='2108907']
You forgot the Folk-Metal! :D
[/quote]
Oh sod it, so i did. :D

As i punishment to myself i won't listen to any Punk-Funk, Metal-Dirge, Garage-Beat, Folk-Funk, Classic-Garage, House-Rock for at least a week. :rolleyes:

I would think that the term Freak Beat derives from the advent of psychedelic music and the counter - culture that surrounded it at the time , i.e the "freaks " or hippies , and the way in which the Beat groups , whose music had been the dominant musical trend immidiately preceding the advent of psychedelia , responded to try and incorporate this new style into their music . Subsequently , the melodic mainstream pop songs of the groups who had aspired to be part of the British invasion became influenced by a darker and more agressive and disturbing sound . In retrospect this has been christened Freak Beat by some people . In America the same trend was known as Garage Rock , but probably due to the fact that most families at the time still parked in the street in Britain and bands rehearsed in church halls and youth clubs , we had to think of another name , so music raconteur and record collector Phil Smee ( the man who designed the Motorhead logo with the horned beast with chains and the gothic script , among other things ) invented the term " freak beat " to descibe it's U.K counterpart . That is the story of freak beat .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1371027249' post='2108693']
So you could get the same effect by playing the 45s at 33?
[/quote]

I've never tried it , but it would probably yield those kind of results . I find I can get a similar effect in my own music by eating a very large meal and consuming lots of fizzy drinks before I pick my bass up .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1371039589' post='2108938']
I find I can get a similar effect in my own music by eating a very large meal and consuming lots of fizzy drinks before I pick my bass up .[/quote]

I generally just have a shot of washing-up liquid and bang my head on a table.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1371039589' post='2108938']
I've never tried it
[/quote]

Never tried it??!!

That was always part of the ritual when I was a kid - any new single me or my brother acquired would go on the Dansette and after a few plays at 45 it would be auditioned at 33, 78 and 16 (yes 16) rpm. I seem to remember the Stones' Little By Little (B-side to Not Fade Away) was particularly good at 33.

We had to make our own fun back in those days. :)

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1371054221' post='2109231']
That was always part of the ritual when I was a kid - any new single me or my brother acquired would go on the Dansette and after a few plays at 45 it would be auditioned at 33, 78 and 16 (yes 16) rpm. I seem to remember the Stones' Little By Little (B-side to Not Fade Away) was particularly good at 33.

We had to make our own fun back in those days. :)
[/quote]
Yes, absolutely.

Every 45 had to have the 16, 33 & 78 treatment along with us miming to it.

Then if we were lucky we a got a piece of coal to suck. Not all of it mind. We had to share. Happy days. :D

I had an Aphex Twin EP back in the 90s which had no indication of the speed on the label. As it contained only electronic sounds and heavily processed voices, it really wasn't obvious whether 33 or 45 was right. 33rpm sounded best to me, but I was disappointed when I heard the same tracks on a CD and found I'd got it wrong...