Why become a member? ×

Squier custom shop :)

AntLockyer

This year I bought a CV Jazz and really like it, what I don't like is the dodgy pick up routing behind the scratch plate.

I love this guitar owned by Juan Alderete

and his Lakland version

I also love this

So with all that being said I decided to buy this

Which is the Squier VM 'Jaco'ish fretless.

And this

Mighty Mite neck (sans decal).

Watch this space.

Body turned up yesterday and I offered up the CV scratch plate I have knocking about. It is no where near fitting. the control plate is really wide (and nasty looking).

So I'm thinking about saving some effort and going for a no guard holes look and losing that option. Like this but with a matching headstock.

Back in the 80's I always took the scratchplates off my Jazz basses as I preferred the look but now I think a Jazz can look a little naked without a scratchplate, our very own Bass Doc (Howard) could knock you up one that fits for a very reasonable price.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1371198697' post='2111019']
If it is good enough for Juan and Tommy it is good enough for me. :)
[/quote]

That's a fair point :)

I've also realised I have a Jazz type bass with no scratchplate or control plate either (rear mounted pots) :D

Whatever you decide I'm sure it's going to look great.

• 4 weeks later...

Slow progress but I got it mocked up today to see if the pain of getting the plastic finish off is worth the effort. The saddles are wound alomst to their full extent and it is still running a low low action, I don't think I'l need to shim the bridge but you never know. Plays nice, the pickups are really good sounding, so different to my other Jazz, the pots are rubbish and scratchy.

Will complete my setup and play it like this for a little while.

Decided on inca silver paint (I think).

• 3 months later...

Stalled a little while I was saving for nitro and building up to stripping the poly off. Well I changed my mind on both. I've gone for acrylic now. Have sealed and sanded the neck, I think I'll seal again for luck then mask the headstock off. Primed the body today and it will need a little bit of rework on the back of the upper cutaway and the gut cutout. Nothing major and can all be done within the thickness of primer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Zombie thread. What happened was the silver paint bloomed badly so I stripped it all off, then I started to strip the poly finish off and got side tracked. Today I made a decision to not do silver (as Squier do one now themselves) and do white instead. Wasn't sure it would be good with the maple neck and I'm still not sure.

Decal might go on tonight.