Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender Jazz Bass content.

Prime_BASS

Making sacrifices for tjhe bandand for the girlfriend since we decided we are moving in together.
I wasn't overly happy as I've lost a fantastic bass that I really got on with.
I never really 'got' jazz basses, and promptly sold on the few I've had too.

Having never really had a go on 60s spacing jazz, I was eager to see how they sounded.
Luckily there was a local guy selling one pretty cheap. I went, I tried, I brought it.
Surprisingly happy with a a passive single coil after using active humbuckers for ages.

Happy for now at least.

[attachment=136698:IMAG0197.jpg][attachment=136699:IMAG0198.jpg][attachment=136700:IMAG0201.jpg][attachment=136701:IMAG0203.jpg][attachment=136702:IMAG0204.jpg]

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='OBT1000_S12' timestamp='1370898648' post='2107261']
That's a nice colour! How's it sound and play?
[/quote]
A lot better than others I have had, a lot better than the '96 deluxe I had a while a go, the 60s pickup position while only small difference makes it a lot new comfortable to. It sounds as jazz should, does all the sounds very well, a passive beast with alnico pups sounds great, currently have the neck pickup just off bridge on full and the tone roles off some. With my effects o get some great Rage tones.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1370901718' post='2107330']
Very nice colour dude! Is it a mex or USA?

Did my old baby stay within the Basschat fold? :D

Hope you enjoy it!
[/quote]
Yeah colour is pretty cool, its either aqua flake or ocean turquoise metallic. Yeah it did, user 'dandelion' brought it and is uber pleased with it, it saw loads of action with me. Sad to lose it and already watching another basic on eBay haha.

It's a USA jazz, I had some specific requirements when looking and being of US or Jap origin was on of them.
[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1370930166' post='2107477']
Mexican by the truss rod access?

Great colour!
[/quote]

It's Us jazz my friend, its a bit of an older one, before the 2000s. Not sure on exact model but I have feeling its a 60's reissue.

Wow, i never knew 60's jazzers had headstock adjustment, so wrongly assumed the reissues were heelend adjuster too... i thought that headstock adjuster came out in 73 and went out in 81.....tis true what they say you learn something everyday....especially with fenders!

Lovely looking tool, enjoy.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1370965577' post='2108038']
Wow, i never knew 60's jazzers had headstock adjustment, so wrongly assumed the reissues were heelend adjuster too... i thought that headstock adjuster came out in 73 and went out in 81.....tis true what they say you learn something everyday....especially with fenders!

Lovely looking tool, enjoy.
[/quote]

Well I could be wrong, I'm looking into what exactly it is anyway

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1370966300' post='2108045']

Well I could be wrong, I'm looking into what exactly it is anyway
[/quote]

I would! I have a Japanese 62 RI and it doesn't have 22 frets. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a 22 fret 60's jazz bass, RI or original.

You could have a rarity right there!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1370968809' post='2108086']
I would! I have a Japanese 62 RI and it doesn't have 22 frets. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a 22 fret 60's jazz bass, RI or original.

You could have a rarity right there!
[/quote]

Seems even a fender UK rep is interested in this, he is sourcing what exactly it is.
I'm not getting my hopes up though, I am merely happy that it works, its in great condition and I love how it sounds when I play it.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1370971791' post='2108146']

Seems even a fender UK rep is interested in this, he is sourcing what exactly it is.
I'm not getting my hopes up though, I am merely happy that it works, its in great condition and I love how it sounds when I play it.
[/quote]

Chuffed for you. It looks like it could be something quite unique!!

[quote name='BigBassBob' timestamp='1370972808' post='2108161']
It's also not a 60s reissue.
[/quote]

Aye, you may be right.

Just googled long horns and seems they were as standard for this age of Jazz. Plus there is one that turned up on Talkbass that is in the same colour. Pickguard is the same and has the same number screw holes. And only measuring with my eyes but the top horn seems to be just as long.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1370980611' post='2108315']
Interesting, what is a fender long horn jazz?
[/quote]

Between '89 and and I think '94 US standard Jazz Bass had a elongated top horn. I'm not sure about Precisions though.

This is the first long horn or 'boner' jazz I've seen in the flesh and haven't seen the colour ever before.

[quote name='Tweedledum' timestamp='1371030401' post='2108745']
I like your socks!
[/quote]

Primark if you fancy some, they are also some blue ones with bananas on.

Just got word from Fender.
Made in 1992 and is a Long horn jazz, has a longer top horn and a deeper cutaway.
Colour is Caribbean Mist. Everything else is as you will find on A stanard Jazz bass.