Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So who pays for the damage?

iconic

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1370876661' post='2106722']
Indeed. I think you'll find I specifically mentioned the big venues.
[/quote]

No, you didn't. If you meant that then it wasn't very clear. You said "the venues got bigger" not "the big venues" anything. The venues got bigger - what, ALL of them?

[quote]
It has always been illegal to sell to or attempt to buy for someone who is drunk.
[/quote]

Thanks for the headsup. It must have been pure luck that I operated on that basis all this time. Really, are you setting out to patronise and annoy me?

[quote]
You only need a personal licence for the manager so the big chain pubs can move staff around and not have to license one person to a particular premises. Maybe (forbid the thought) big venues are trying to protect their managers by ensuring the person at the point of sale has more responsibilty.
[/quote]

In Scotland (it may well be different down South, but it's my point and it's being made in Scotland) there must be a Personal License holder on the premises at all times during licensed hours. This includes pubs, clubs and even little village dances and marquees - anywhere that alcohol is being sold. Doesn't have to be the owner/manager (although they must possess a Personal License), just someone who has received the training and has the documentation to prove that they are a Personal License holder, which can be asked to be seen by Police/Licensing Official at any time during service. This is in addition to the premises/occasional license that must be obtained in order to trade in the first place and governs points of business like licensed hours etc..

I think that's enough detail - my objection today has simply been to your (in my opinion) unfair generalisation.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1370871786' post='2106624']
I don't see why this is the Wal owner's fault? He did nothing wrong. Why should he expect anyone to touch is property without permission, especially something as personal and fragile as a musical instrument. It's a pain in the neck keeping things in cases at gigs where there's so little space, the cases get put away.

Going along the 'it takes a village to bring up a child' line, assuming the Wall owner was not right there at the time why did none of the punters stop these two idiots going anywhere near the gear? In reality there is more responsibility there than the landlord who was no doubt busy keeping the queue at the bar down.

Its the two idiots' fault, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find them, they need to be given the chance, now they've sobered up, to put things right.
[/quote]
I completely agree. Play whichever bass you choose. Yes it makes sense to take particular care of a valuable bass by keeping a close eye on it and returning it to its case during breaks, but no one should be put off their instrument of choice because of drunken idiots. In all seriousness, I would have been straight on the phone to the Police and pressed charges of criminal damage. I've got through forty years on planet Earth without recklessly damaging other people's belongings and there's no reason why anyone else can't do the same.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1370879631' post='2106784']
The guy who related this tale came from Basildon area, don't know anymore than that.

....Norfolk inbreds...how dare you, just because I call my wife sis' sometimes :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Basildon, eh. So we change the joke from

Q - what is the definition of a virgin in Norfolk?
A - A girl who can run faster than her father.

To

Q - what is the definition of a virgin in Basildon?
A - A girl who can run faster than her step-father.

Not a lot of difference, perhaps.

The biggest question of all is why the heck anyone in their right mind was doing a gig in Basildon.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1370879631' post='2106784']
The guy who related this tale came from Basildon area, don't know anymore than that.
[/quote]

How well did you know him? The whole thing has something of a "cool story, bro" feel about it. If someone I didn't know told me that tale I'd be inclined to say it was made up / exaggerated.

Either way, if you take an (uninsured) bass of that value to a pub and don't put it safely back in its case when you're not playing it then you either have a lot more money than me or need your head examined!