Why become a member? ×

Recording video/audio @ home

ped

Hi guys

I've just got a new computer and I'd like to record some basic videos, playing along to tunes, for YouTube etc.

So My computer is an iMac and my bass signal comes from a mixer via any one of the outputs (usually I use the headphone out)

The new iMac doesn't have any audio inputs, so I presume I'm going to have to get a USB interface. What do people recommend?

I have Final Cut Pro and iMovie etc for doing the editing so that should be OK, just want good sound quality and for a bit of fun really. I'll use the built in camera for recording the video...

Cheerz
ped

Hi Ped

If you can get yourself an Apogee or Babyface sound card you'll be fine... Focus[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]rite, Motu, or the [/font][/size][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Steinberg do great USB interfaces... and sorry I misread your original post and thought you[/font][/size] wanted advice on how to get good sound on your video - so I started waffling (see below) hope that helps too.

My method is fairly simple and seems to work well - I use my DAW to record whatever audio is going on and film simultaneously but make sure you have some audio that is audible to the camera, this is important to sync the video and audio later. The easiest way to ensure you sync between the two is to have a 1,2,3,4, count in as you begin recording - if you're just playing without backing you might want to do some other audible cue... when you're done filming and recording get your audio track mixed etc and bounced down to MP3, then add to your iTunes library. Then import the footage into Final Cut/iMovie and edit, when you're ready go to the 'note' icon in the bottom left corner of the video editing program and open iTunes, find your track (you can search by name) - then drag and drop it onto the timeline in Final Cut or on top of the video clip in iMovie. Sync the audio tracks by magnifying them in the timeline - the count in should be visible as four distinct peaks in the audio - there's an automatic sync method in FCP but I don't know how to do it - I usually just align them by eye and keep checking the sync by starting the clip - FCP also allows you to turn down the audio on the video clip and leave just the lovely new track from iTunes...

CHeers

Mike

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1370793691' post='2105583']
Hi guys

I've just got a new computer and I'd like to record some basic videos, playing along to tunes, for YouTube etc.

So My computer is an iMac and my bass signal comes from a mixer via any one of the outputs (usually I use the headphone out)

The new iMac doesn't have any audio inputs, so I presume I'm going to have to get a USB interface. What do people recommend?

I have Final Cut Pro and iMovie etc for doing the editing so that should be OK, just want good sound quality and for a bit of fun really. I'll use the built in camera for recording the video...

Cheerz
ped
[/quote]

I use iMovie for my videos. Usually I DI my bass from the amp into a little interface, which then gets recorded in Garageband/Logic. The camera is the inbuilt camera in the MacBook Pro, and you can use it by opening iMovie and clicking the little camera symbol. Click record in both programmes and rock out! (If you want to also record yourself talking/singing, you'll need to ad a microphone into the equation).

Hi guys

Thanks for the helpful pointers.

I'm looking at some potential solutions and those include the VB99 unit which I'd like to try, having been a Vbass user for many years now. That could be my 'all in one' solution, but I'll want to read through the manual first and check it all out as I don't have much dough at the moment. It has to be right!

Failing that then a cheapy USB interface and iMovie sounds like a pretty suitable option for just having some fun.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1370971390' post='2108140'] Hi guys Thanks for the helpful pointers. I'm looking at some potential solutions and those include the VB99 unit which I'd like to try, having been a Vbass user for many years now. That could be my 'all in one' solution, but I'll want to read through the manual first and check it all out as I don't have much dough at the moment. It has to be right! Failing that then a cheapy USB interface and iMovie sounds like a pretty suitable option for just having some fun. Cheers ped [/quote]

You can definitely make some decent videos in iMovie, and it's basically a simplified version of Final Cut Pro. I use it to make all my videos. It's not too difficult to get the hang of. I made this video the way I described to you -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Gvoa5hips