Why become a member? ×

On board preamp

Roger2611

Hi guys and gals

I have just picked up a cheap (ish) Bass Collection SB330 with twin SCG soapbar pickups, it is 2 band active, pickup blend control, master volume and active / passive switch.

I used it as my backup bass last night as when I soundchecked with it I was entirely underwhelmed with the sound in both actice and passive mode and I am not entirely sure the actives are 100% at the moment as I was getting a loud pop when switching between passive and active.

I really like the way it plays and my back really likes the weight of the bass so potentially it's a keeper but I will need to greatly improve its sound

Now I was wondering about ripping all the electronics out of it and upgrading to something of better quality but I have a few questions / concerns.

Is it worth swapping the pickups to something like Seymour Duncan Basslines or similar or should I just be looking to swap the preamp and if so will I be able to get one that will a) fit into the existing control layout and still offer the active / passive option.

Any recommendations welcomed

Cheers

Edited by Roger2611

I just put a Nordstrand 2-band 4-knob into my SB465, it is active/passive (though why you'd want the passive I don't know) and fits easily into the cavity. You may need to open out the holes in the top with a round file though, because the pot threads are slightly bigger than the original SGC Nanyo.

It's not unusual for the original preamps to go wrong: I replaced mine with an Artec 3-band, but the Nordy sounds a lot better.

Hi
I just put my Fodera Monarch New Standard a Mike Pope Flexcore 4 band eq with passive tone. Unbeliviable dynamics. You can order Flexcore from mikepopedesign.com. There is generator where you can design your own preamp. And it's very easy to install.

To be frank , if it's not a good sounding bass to begin with , adding even a very good preamp won't neccesarilly bring the improvements in the sound you are hoping for . It could easily end up as a classic case of throwing good money after bad . I would experiment a bit more with the bass as it is or without spending very much more on it first before I forked out on a new preamp .

Thanks guys, I have a bit more of a play with it today, "deoxed" the pots, switch and jack socket, I also found that the output trim control was turned down to minimum, I have turned it up to match the output of the Precision Lyte and it has vastly improved the sound, now that I have adjusted the trussrod set the action and put new strings on, it has completely transformed the bass.

I feel really sorry for the guy that had the bass before me, I don't think he was a very experienced player and really didn't get to see just how good this bass could have been once set up correctly.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1370690530' post='2104404']
(though why you'd want the passive I don't know)
[/quote]

Safety net in case the batteries start dying on you mid-song/gig. Quicker than changing the battery especially if a screwdriver is involved.

Yes, one should be keeping on top of the battery situation, but one is only human after all.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1370808087' post='2105889']
I just pick up my spare bass.
[/quote]

I do not possess the cat-like reflexes and physical dexterity required to execute that manoeuvre mid song. I salute you. I do find that I can flick a switch that fast, so that is my coping mechanism.