Why become a member? ×

Fair price for vintage P (siginificantly altered)

Oversoul

So there's a guy in Portugal selling a seemingly old P bass, with the serial 384001 engraved. Thing is, the bass seems to carry a lot of tampering with: new fingerboard (seems ebony), (badly) sanded body, not original knobs (golden), from what I can tell. The headstock seems to show it's really old, and so does this serial. What would in your opinion, be a fair price?

Without seeing it, difficult to say. The serial number shows:

Your guitar was made at the
Fullerton Plant (Fender - CBS Era), USA
in the Year(s): 1973 - 1974

So in perfect unaltered condition around £2000ish - bit more/bit less etc.

But with what you`ve said about the changes, nowhere near this value - seems that possibly only the body and back of the neck is original - if the knobs have been changed, possibly the electrics/pickups as well.

If it`s a player, then depends totally on the buyer - whats it worth to them.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1370519002' post='2102075']
Without seeing it, difficult to say. The serial number shows:

Your guitar was made at the
Fullerton Plant (Fender - CBS Era), USA
in the Year(s): 1973 - 1974

So in perfect unaltered condition around £2000ish - bit more/bit less etc.

But with what you`ve said about the changes, nowhere near this value - seems that possibly only the body and back of the neck is original - if the knobs have been changed, possibly the electrics/pickups as well.

If it`s a player, then depends totally on the buyer - whats it worth to them.
[/quote]
It's a real shame it's not mint. Here's the link to the sale: [url="http://portocity.olx.pt/viola-baixo-fender-precision-com-caixa-iid-437985819"]http://portocity.olx.pt/viola-baixo-fender-precision-com-caixa-iid-437985819[/url]

for that price i'd be tempted to take a look, the knobs could be original but with all the chrome worn off, if it plays well and sounds good then 650 euros isn't a whole heap of money provided that a fair amount of it is genuine and original, i paid a bit more than that for my modified 77 p-bass because it played well and just felt right. this might be a great player (on the other hand it may be a dog!)

if it's local to you then why not talk to the buyer and give it a play?

Mat

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1370520585' post='2102106']
for that price i'd be tempted to take a look, the knobs could be original but with all the chrome worn off, if it plays well and sounds good then 650 euros isn't a whole heap of money provided that a fair amount of it is genuine and original, i paid a bit more than that for my modified 77 p-bass because it played well and just felt right. this might be a great player (on the other hand it may be a dog!)

if it's local to you then why not talk to the buyer and give it a play?

Mat
[/quote]
I was just curious because the price is raising fast, and given the mods it has suffered. Me personally I wouldn't give up the current amount he's asking for it. But it seems some people do. :mellow:

Ahh is it an auction then? I'm afraid I can't speak Portuguese, I thought it was a for sale advert.

If the price goes up then it's not worth the bother, at 650 it would have been worth a look and a cheeky lower offer if it played well.

Matt