Why become a member? ×

Rig for sale reliable, powerful and cheap too! Now with photos.
£300

I have finally treated myself to some lightweight gear so my faithful old rig has to go. £250 altogether or will separate for prices seen below.
Head; Proper old school British-built Trace Elliot AH350X, early 90’s (I think) tolex covered. This is the bi-amp model with a full range 250W B channel (4 ohms minimum) and a completely separate 150W high pass A channel (8 ohms minimum) so 400 very loud Trace watts if you have enough cabs to use them. I believe it is actually the AH250 and AH150 output stages driven by the GP11 preamp. I don’t use the A channel - not my sound, but it works fine. Cosmetic condition good for age, all knobs and sliders present, no rips in tolex and everything works exactly as it should including the blacklight and two-speed fan. I never liked the xlr speaker out on the main channel so I replaced it with a Speakon. I am an industrial electronics service engineer by trade so it has been done properly. There is a slight background hiss so you wouldn’t want to use it for quiet studio work but it is of course completely un-noticeable at even the quietest band practice levels. The only other problem and the reason I’m selling is the weight; 46lbs on my bathroom scales - not a problem for most but getting to be too much for an old codger like me! Was asking £220 if sold separately but now on offer for a measly £200.
Cab 1; Now keeping - no longer available.
Cab 2; Now sold.
This has been a completely reliable and well looked after head and only £200. Pickup from NP23 (Ebbw Vale, south Wales) preferred but I think shipping would be about £20. Any trial welcome - I have a passive four-string here but feel free to bring your own if you like. Trades - looking for a decent combo but has to be lightweight - see below.

Edited by plankspanker

[quote name='plankspanker' timestamp='1369477193' post='2089605']...I am an industrial electronics service engineer by trade...and i'm a bit dopey with computers...[/quote]

Like..! :lol:

(Have a bump for free...)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1369652059' post='2091186']
Like..! :lol:

(Have a bump for free...)
[/quote]Oooh ta pal - there's lots of electronics besides them bloody 'puter thingies you know! Actually it's an email problem at home - every time I try to send some pictures it throws a right hissy fit. No problem from my works PC though so will be dong that Wednesday for anyone interested.

[quote name='headofire' timestamp='1370247576' post='2097938']
Classic amp. Trace when they made the best amps in the world. Good luck with the sale.
[/quote] Great amps for sure but just not fashionable these days, I fear. My previous band had a dedicated practice room where we could just leave everything set up but the current band hires the village hall and it's not an easy load in/out so it was either a lightweight rig or a slipped disc!

Edited by plankspanker

• 1 year later...

Well here we are over a year later and I have to put this up again as my band has lost our practice room (landlord selling up and the new owner doesn't want us there). Trace Elliot AH350X as described above and the Ashdown 1x15 (Peavey 2x10 has gone) but remember it has the much better Eminence driver. The amp is in really good condition for it's age just a bit hissy if you are in a quiet room. I'm asking £250 for the head and cab. I'll throw in the longest mains lead you've ever seen - about 25 feet!
Tradewise I'd be interested in a decent but really portable combo with cash your way if necessary. I have to stress the portability thing as our new, and hopefully temporary, practice place is quite a walk from the car park and then a couple of really awkward doorways and several steps to negotiate. A one-handed carry if such a thing is possible. I can email pictures of the cab if you like but it's a standard tolex-covered box with a number of scuffs but structurally very solid and the sound is strong. Thanks for reading.

Bump. Come on chaps - this is a lot of amp for a measly £200 and a good cab for only £50. There are a couple of combos on this very page (or the next) that I have my eye on so you could kickstart the whole of the British economy just by doing the right thing. You know it makes sense!

Yes the blacklight works fine (difficult to photograph though) as does the two-speed fan and all the controls. The whole amp works as it should except, as mentioned above, there is the background hiss that old Trace stuff is famous for. You wouldn't want to use it in a quiet studio environment but it's completely un-noticeable even at modest practice levels. I am in NP23 5BQ Ebbw Vale, south Wales. If we hadn't lost our practice room it would still be there now (I have a Streamliner and two Berg 1x12s for gigs) but I need something a lot lighter to hump in and out of the new practice place.

Sounds good. The drummer in a previous band had a lot of friends and connections around that area and we would do at least a dozen private parties and barbecues in some very nice places each summer. The current band is more suited to dives and rough pubs unfortunately.