Why become a member? ×

Playing in the Rain!

scalpy

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1369140343' post='2085279']
Describe how to do it properly.

You turn up, punters are standing in the rain waiting...

Then what ?
[/quote]

You agree in advance that the stage must be weather-proof and there is a contingency venue if not..
You get the fee paid in advance and you turn up and evaluate the stage and the weather.

You do it this way as in this country the weather is too often a factor.

No one wants an event rained off but they don't want a law-suit or worse either..

We take a deposit for outside venues after we booked out dates for two of them to fold at the last minute...

I agreed with the organisers pulling the plug before we did...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1369164159' post='2085745']
You agree in advance that the stage must be weather-proof and there is a contingency venue if not..
You get the fee paid in advance and you turn up and evaluate the stage and the weather.

You do it this way as in this country the weather is too often a factor.

No one wants an event rained off but they don't want a law-suit or worse either..

We take a deposit for outside venues after we booked out dates for two of them to fold at the last minute...

I agreed with the organisers pulling the plug before we did...
[/quote]

Not arguin that. I meant how do yo DO IT properly. Not how do you not do it at all.

That is doing it properly from the end that I am interested in...
Isn't upto me to design their stage area or build it... just that we would tell them what we needed and if it made sense we'd do the date.
They could have a stage plan with a technical rider.
Anymore than that, I'd only be willing to advise from the bands POV... I wouldn't be doing the risk assessment, comply with lisensing officials
or speccing the power required...
They could have the name of a few companies that do the lights and P.A..and a few that build floor stages and a few scaffold teams and generator suppliers
How much more would I want to be involved..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1369169548' post='2085867']
That is doing it properly from the end that I am interested in...
Isn't upto me to design their stage area or build it... just that we would tell them what we needed and if it made sense we'd do the date.
They could have a stage plan with a technical rider.
Anymore than that, I'd only be willing to advise from the bands POV... I wouldn't be doing the risk assessment, comply with lisensing officials
or speccing the power required...
They could have the name of a few companies that do the lights and P.A..and a few that build floor stages and a few scaffold teams and generator suppliers
How much more would I want to
be involved..??
[/quote]

I'd mention all of that next time we play in a field on a covered lorry trailer in a bit of drizzle, at a gig organised by the local parks department./council/pub landlord/rugby club or whatever.

Far as I'm concerned, if the stage isnt flooded, and rain aint actually blowing in my face, and me feet are dry, I'm happy.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1369162420' post='2085703']
I assumed the actual stage was dry . . . . but I remember it well and didn't the rain do a good job of enhancing the lightshow! :D
[/quote]

The footage shows rain running off Gilmour's Strat!!

This is excellent advice, thank you folks. Boils down to buy a wireless and the affinity squier I keep meaning to get. Going to be an expensive gig...

I don't own cheap gear or wireless so we'll have to see what happens to me this weekend.

I'm playing several gigs in Warrenpoint Northern Ireland, and one of them is on an outdoor stage.

Last year there was a heat wave (and an uncovered stage) but this year’s weather forecast says “chance of rain”.

I've played plenty of outdoor gigs but the best were not in this country...or subject to rain.
That said, the stages were well run.... except for the one in Thessalonika which was a nightmare...
but that is the Greeks for you where nothing runs well unless in Athens and even then..??? ... :lol:

Now, we are in the land of H&S so even a decent sized Beer Festival will have to dance through
hoops to get their event signed off, IME
I believe there is a 'license' type figure of 250 and anything above that gets far more interest from the authorities...

A friend of mine is arranging a multi band event over 2 days and the local council kill him even though it is charity.
He reckons his donations have to hit £3000 even if he gets most services..including the acts, donated as a favour.
He is a very popular guy and people are willing to help, but even so... that seems the start-off fgure.
Other stages this summer will cost from £9000 to £15000 for the weekend, IIRC..