Why become a member? ×

yamaha rbx 375

jon999

jus start by sayin hello 2 everyone as im new here so hello!

neway jus wanted 2 know if anyone has played this guitar as i may get 1 becuse i want a 5 string and also its active.
btw i dont have a lot of money so if u hav any alternatives they cant b 2 expensive.

thx jon

I've had a quick twang with one in a shop, and they are pretty good VFM.

Dont expect wonderful results from what it a cheap on borad pre-amp, but otherwise they are noce to play and very capable of being set up to play very well.

See this thread for a recent batch of opinions of others in teh similar price bracket.

And welcome aboard!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20317"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20317[/url]

Hi Jon welcome,
Don't know where you are based but I've got one on Ebay for sale at £100 currently.
It's immaculate apart from a tiny scratch on the side of the neck. Cost me £275 in Dawsons.
Check it out if you are interested.Got flatwounds on it and it plays really nice.

it looks good and good price but i live in cornwall lol. i wud hav gone 2 music shops and tried some basses out but there are only 2 that are close and they are very small (not many basses), expensive and i dont think they would let you play the basses as there is no room.

[quote name='jon999' post='211327' date='Jun 2 2008, 07:42 PM']it looks good and good price but i live in cornwall lol. i wud hav gone 2 music shops and tried some basses out but there are only 2 that are close and they are very small (not many basses), expensive and i dont think they would let you play the basses as there is no room.[/quote]

Have you been to Manson's in Exeter?
It's arguably the best shop in your part of the world. Depending upon where in Cornwall you live, it still might be a bit of a trek, though...

Jon,
If you change your mind and look at 4 strings check out the Hamer sunburst. I've just bought one for £250 new and the set up was amazing, it's so easy to play and sounds pretty decent. It's like a Les Paul Junior shape and an absolute steal at the price. I've got a custom Shuker and Overwater but this is so comfortable I'm playing it more than these (which is crazy !).

It must be a bit of a bind not having much local choice but as Machines said I'm sure they will let you play the basses and if they won't I certainly wouldn't buy from them.

Good luck with the hunt.

kl thx for the replies guys.
i live about 1 to 1 and a half hour from exeter so i dont go there that often. i havent be to masons but i will try to go there at a weekend or somthing.
There is 1 very small shop near the college i go 2 which i went into yesterday but they r an hour away from my house if i wanted to go there on a weekend or watever. They have got some fenders and a couple of good looking ESP's but they are all quite pricey.
There is a bigger shop at bodmin which is closer to me but thats still about 40 minutes away. i will try to go to the shop at bodmin shop sometime and ask if i can try them out like you lot hav said.
thank again jon

I bought a Yamaha RBX model when I was first learning to play. I remember it being a nice bass, I had no problems with it, and it was easy to sell on when I was done with it. That was 15+ years ago though, and I haven't played one recently.

I think Yamaha are generally a safe bet to be honest. I haven't played a doggy Yamaha.

o yea jus thought i wud say i went to the shop near college today. they did let play some of the basses however the guy thought we were jus wasting his time lol. they havent got any warwicks or yamahas but i played a nice ESP with EMG pickups (which were loose!). the setup didnt look very good either (im no expert but just what i thought) and i do see what people mean now about the B string being loose. i dont think that shop was that great TBH as they have guitars that are clearly second hand but its not stated.
i also tried a fretless active vintage (4 string) which i thought was basically just as good as the ESP except £400 less! i hadnt played a fretless before and ive always thought it would be hard to get the fretting right without inlays and stuff but this bass had dots on the side of the neck which was helpfull. now ive decided i wouldnt mind a fretless bass (this doesnt mean the 5 string has to be fretless) as it sounded great.

sry to ramble on just thought i wud add that in there.
jon

I've had my RBX 375 for 3 years now, I can honestly say that there is no way that I'd get rid of it. The fretboard feels fluid, the range of sounds from the twin pups is enourmous, even before you start messin with fx, it isn't a backbreaker and it has to be the best value for money bass that I've ever played. There are nicer 5 strings out there, but you're looking at much more money. After trying one out in Uncle Tony's in Middlesbrough I knew I had to have one, and if I'd had £400 I'd have bought it there and then (I thought £400 for it was a bargain, based purely on what I thought it was worth). After looking on Thomann, I got one for £200 inc delivery and I still grin like an idiot whenever I pick it up :) .