Why become a member? ×

Mixing Desk Help - Mono/Stereo/Ipod query

Sibob

Hi guys,

I'm looking to run my bass and iPod through my bass amp when learning tunes, I'm figuring that a small cheap desk would be best for this (Behringer probably), as it's only for home use.
The Secondary use for whatever I go for would be to run my record player (vinyl) through my bass amp (lets not go into the 'audiophile' issues here ;) ), the record player simply has stereo RCA out.
So.......can I?
I notice the desk ([size=3]Behringer EuroRack MX602A[/size]) has stereo RCA in, but the main outs are L/R, whereas obviously any cable and input into an amp would be mono.
I'm guessing the headphone out would also be stereo, so would I still lose a side when going to the amp?

Best solution here?

Cheers
Si

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1368548951' post='2078386']
Usually the left output can be used as a mono out, and only use L&R if you want stereo, from what i've seen anyway.

Liam
[/quote]
Sure, but with a stereo source like an iPod/turntable you will then only get the left channel of the audio into the amp.

A solution is to use two mono channels on the mixer for the left and right inputs. You can then pan both channels to the left and use the left output of the mixer. The only annoyance then is that you have two volumes to adjust in order to keep L/R balance.

What you really need is a 3.5mm stereo plug wired to a 1/4" mono plug (so the L and R channels are both connected to the tip of the 1/4" plug).

You might have problems connecting your turntable to the tape inputs though - it really depends on the impedance of cartridge you have on your turntable.

Actually a lot of desks like my little Yamaha do use the L channel as mono and you only get stereo whenyou plug in the R jack.

also you can use the pan/balance control to send the signal to whichever side you want. Behringer desks generally have a mono output too.

A bigger problem might be your record deck if the output is direct from the cartridge. This will need RIAA equalisation as the signal has the bass deliberately cut and the treble boosted to reduce record noise. You can buy a box to add this equalisation or a few old mixers have it built in. DJ mixers might be worth a look if you don't intend using the mixer for anything else as some of these still have disc inputs.

Also worth a look is the Hipster PPGM which I use for headphone practice, though it won't take a disc input it works great with an iPod.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1368567747']

also you can use the pan/balance control to send the signal to whichever side you want. Behringer desks generally have a mono output too.
[/quote]

The balance control won't give you both sides of the stereo image into one side of your main outs - it does literally what it says on the tin and shifts the relative balance of the two sides. Swing it to the left, right channel gets progressively quieter, and vice versa.

Two mono channels hard panned as mentioned above will do it though!