Why become a member? ×

I need a custom neck plate - where would I get one?

alyctes

I have a Telecaster-style Retrovibe bass. (Actually, I have [i]the[/i] Telecaster-style Retrovibe bass.)

Big surprise, it dives like a Premier League striker, because the upper strap button is opposite the15th fret.

I experimented with a bag of weights hung on the lower button. It helped, but I gave up when 3lb wasn't enough.

So, I want a custom neck plate (not a scratchplate!) for it. I want it to extend behind the neck so that the strap can attach behind the 12th fret.

Is there anyone here who can make me one, or can recommend someone who will make one?

Thanks!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1368908224' post='2082986']
Just a straight strip of metal bolted over existing one, using existing bolts, corner to corner so its diagonal. Minimal shaping, two holes drilling and countersinking that way.
[/quote]

Excellent idea, and I don't know why I didn't ask you first; but there must be a change to the effect of the bolts if you reduce the depth of their penetration into the body (oo-er missus!). Would matchsticking the existing holes be enough?

Edit: never mind, I'll try it anyway and see how it works :)

Edited by alyctes

Guy on another forum had the idea of making a standard 4 bolt neck plate with a tongue poking out for the purpose. I figured I could get them made easy enough, but was his idea, think he lost interest, the forum kinda died. Could make them tons easier with water jet cutting I can get done now.

If you took a standard neck plate to any sheet metal fabricator who has a laser/plasma/water jet cutting machine this should be very easily achieved. Just show them the original and explain what you want different. If you got them made from mild steel you could then either powder coat or chrome plate it accordingly. You could probably get it cut from a sheet of stainless too. You may need to get a nominal number of them made to over the cost to the shop for drawing and programming, but I couldn't see it being ridiculous. You could then sell on the remaining plates as I'm sure you are not the only person to come across this.
A couple of words of caution, be carefull how long you make the extension, in terms of balance small increases in arm length can have a significant impact. Also it may be worth extending the plate the other way and fixing an additional screw or two in to the body so the neck joint isn't bearing the brunt of supporting the bass while stood up, but maybe that's just me?

Thank you. Good point about the reverse extension; I doubt it will be a major problem, but it will be interesting to find out.

My understanding is that a single plate would cost a lot, certainly by comparison with the bass it's meant for.

I'm also considering a hand-made involving a steel bar, a drill, a countersink, and a couple of longer screws, plus a spray can of Hammerite. It would be fun to do, I reckon.