Why become a member? ×

Yet another Fender Custom Shop Relic Precision

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1368438287' post='2076943']
I don't get relicing, but I especially don't get why you'd want a relic that had a brand name stamped on the headstock of a brand that's only been around a few years. Instead of looking potentially old/mysterious/full of mojo (at least I assume that's the goal with relicing) it's simply going to look like it's been abused beyond belief in the short time it's been on this planet. Surely the appeal of having a beat up instrument that looked as if it's old with a story to tell is predominantly aesthetic, and therefore surely a period-correct logo such as Fender is part of that aesthetic?
[/quote] You're right, but me personally I can't get that from Fender as well. They're overpriced fad tools, that's it. they look cool, but far away from a real old soul. Fender just uses it's history to charge big time for a half-assed, badly baked instrument that could come in the Squier catalog. (It would make more sense.)

[quote name='Oversoul' timestamp='1368463780' post='2077401']
You're right, but me personally I can't get that from Fender as well. They're overpriced fad tools, that's it. they look cool, but far away from a real old soul. Fender just uses it's history to charge big time for a half-assed, badly baked instrument that could come in the Squier catalog. (It would make more sense.)
[/quote]

This guy :lol:. Why, of course, we should all be playing coffee tables with pylon cables bolted on for more extended range, but that's beside the point really isn't it?

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1368466642' post='2077439']
This guy :lol:. Why, of course, we should all be playing coffee tables with pylon cables bolted on for more extended range, but that's beside the point really isn't it?
[/quote]
Dude, don't judge things by my profile picture....it's just a picture, of me, holding a friend's bass. I'll even tell you that my current bass could be older than you, likely. I'm not dissing the relics, just dissing capitalism, I guess.

[quote name='Oversoul' timestamp='1368463780' post='2077401']
You're right, but me personally I can't get that from Fender as well. They're overpriced fad tools, that's it. they look cool, but far away from a real old soul. Fender just uses it's history to charge big time for a half-assed, badly baked instrument that could come in the Squier catalog. (It would make more sense.)
[/quote]
Couldn't disagree more. I don't think anyone who has played a real 50 year old Fender would imply that a relic comes close to it in terms of sound or feel, but if you cant afford £5-20K for a real one, then what's wrong with having one that looks like it, yet has all the modern benefits, that some players may like. Half arsed? Badly baked?, I haven't seen a Custom Shop bass that ticks either of those two boxes, and I've played lots! Certainly not comparable to a Squier either, I mean not even close. They are also available for around £1200-£1500, unless you want a rarer edition, which is exceptional value. I don't think you can get anything else with that vintage vibe for that price, that also will continue to maintain its value. Just my opinion of course, but I've never experienced a custom shop bass to be either of what you have described. The quality of parts, and assembly has always been excellent, it's their attention to period detail that always bothers me, like the wrong screws, terrible selected tortoishell material, incorrect finish for era, making random hybrids etc, etc, and that's just because i'm obsessively conventional, especially when its supposed to be a reissue, but Squier comparable, badly baked. Nah.

[quote name='Oversoul' timestamp='1368472048' post='2077526']
Dude, don't judge things by my profile picture....it's just a picture, of me, holding a friend's bass. I'll even tell you that my current bass could be older than you, likely. I'm not dissing the relics, just dissing capitalism, I guess.
[/quote]

It had nothing to do with your profile picture. It was a hyperbole to your hyperbole, drawing on the fact that usually the people who bash Fender because it's cool to bash Fender tend to own wacky boutique basses because it's cool to be different (is it? :blink:)

Anyway if we're going to be serious for a minute, your claim that Fender instruments are somehow overpriced and selling purely based on brand is absurd, especially when you specifically call Fender into question but make no mention of any other brands offering worse deals. Not many companies offer an instrument that hasn't come from a cheaper factory they outsourced labour to and have the courtesy to chuck in the essentials with the deal, all for the price that you can pick up a Fender for. What about Warwick, for example? You can get a Korean (?) made Corvette for more than the cost of an American Standard, and what does it come in? A poxy gig bag. Fat lot of good that is. A Fender comes with what is without a doubt one of the best hard-cases I've ever encountered which is worth £150 itself. I love my German-made Warwick Corvette to bits, but does it represent the same value for money as my Fender? Not in my eyes. It's certainly not a better-made instrument (you'd be hard pushed to notice any discernible difference in build quality between the two, and for what it's worth both can hold their own with basses twice the price), and I highly doubt the quality got better since they outsourced production from Germany to Asia!

Bear in mind that I'm simply using Warwick as an example here, and I still think their products are great for the money, there are plenty of other companies you could compare to as well. Hell, take Sandberg for example. £1500 for a Sandberg with a skinny little gig-bag, versus £1200 for a Fender with all the correct accessories, both made to an equal standard (baring any QC anomalies you really should try before you buy for this money anyway), and then bear in mind that the Sandberg isn't being imported from outside the EU. But Fender are still trying to rip you off compared to everyone else, right? Yeah, right... :rolleyes:. Can't deal with people mindlessly bashing an entire brand with empty, meaningless claims.

Edited by Ziphoblat

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1368465611' post='2077422']
Pino's was Fiesta red over an original desert sand finish. I think 'cos of the fashion thing of fiesta red due to Hank Marvin's strat.
[/quote]
Many Fenders in the mid 60's were refinished by Selmer, in the UK, to meet the demand of the UK players, who wanted Fiesta Red, like Hanks. These guitars are known as 'Selmer finished', and advertised as such. Selmer simply refinished imported guitars, and basses that they already had in stock from imports, and finished them, in the UK, before passing them to dealers/shops. Imports at the time were in very limited numbers, and so they simply met demand. This is well documented. I'm not sure if Pino's is one of those (Not sure what year Pino's is?), but it certainly could be.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1368444444' post='2077041']
There was an article in Guitarist magazine a few months ago about the history of vintage reissue Fenders. There was a discussion of the lack of quality of 70s and early 80s Fenders... the factory black "refinish" over a flawed original paint job was discussed... if I remember correctly, black was by far the commonest colour in the late 70s as half the instruments they made had flaws in their finish and had to be redone. I'll see if I can't dig it out tonight.
[/quote]

Yep, it was Dan Smith from Fender, who was saying that when he got there in 1981, black was their biggest seller despite not being the most in-demand colour. The problem was that so many instruments were being rejected at QC and repainted that all you could get was black.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1368353199' post='2075912']
I think basses that have acquired wear through countless hours of playing are very cool....but I'm not sure brand new instruments that have been faked tick the box.
[/quote]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][font="Calibri"][size="3"]Agreed with that....[/size][/font][/size][/font]