Why become a member? ×

neck relief (??) issue on self-build

ahpook

i'm now working on the 'pookbass', which is a body and glued-in neck i bought a while back from ebay, and had howard of howard's bass place do some work on (gives you an idea of how long i've had it !!)

now that the other project i was working on hasn't worked out, i'm determined for this one to work.

i mounted the schaller bridge and machine heads last night, but i've come across a problem...the strings lie against the neck, so they can't even vibrate.

now - is this a trussrod issue or will i have to jack the bridge up by a bit ? the schaller bridge i originally used came with an insert to raise it off the body a bit, but that's been sold to a friend years ago, and the one i'm using now hasn't got the 'shim'

do i need a bridge with more 'height' ? i don't remember this problem from the first fitting of the parts, but i'm not sure if i used the 'shim' last time...

any ideas would be great

Edited by ahpook

Original badass bridges are wicked tall and theres a few floating about that won't fit Fenders. A well fitted block of wood would also work. The trussrod only changes the curve in the neck, which should be only just off totally straight (can check by fretting a string at either end of the fingerboard and seeing if there is a gap, when strings are at full tension). I'm guessing you've already taken the adjusting the grub screws on the bridge as far as is sensible.

yeah, i've tried using the bridge to raise the action, but that didn't work.

as for checking the relief, at the moment the strings are so flat against the neck that it's not possible.

i wish i could remember if i used the schaller bridge plate when i did the first fit...although i'm beginning to think that i must have.

[quote name='ahpook' post='210666' date='Jun 1 2008, 06:31 PM']yeah, i've tried using the bridge to raise the action, but that didn't work.

[b]as for checking the relief, at the moment the strings are so flat against the neck that it's not possible.[/b]

i wish i could remember if i used the schaller bridge plate when i did the first fit...although i'm beginning to think that i must have.[/quote]

Try slipping a block or something under the strings but in front of the saddles, just enough to raise the strings off the leading edge of the neck then you can tell if you have some relief or not. Either way if the bridge is so low that the strings are flat (even with the saddles jacked up) you are going to have to jack the bridge up somehow or as has been suggested get a taller bridge.

[quote name='ahpook' post='210666' date='Jun 1 2008, 06:31 PM']yeah, i've tried using the bridge to raise the action, but that didn't work.

as for checking the relief, at the moment the strings are so flat against the neck that it's not possible.

i wish i could remember if i used the schaller bridge plate when i did the first fit...although i'm beginning to think that i must have.[/quote]

When I fitted a Schaller bridge to a Fender Musicmaster many years ago, I had exactly the same problem. I fitted a plate underneath to bring the bridge up a bit. It's not a trussrod related problem. The plate I used was Schaller one, made no doubt in anticipation of this problem, but I'm sure you could either make or get made something similar to suit your needs, and would be cheaper.

Hope this helps, good luck with the build.

Edited by nick

[quote name='nick' post='210693' date='Jun 1 2008, 07:13 PM']When I fitted a Schaller bridge to a Fender Musicmaster many years ago, I had exactly the same problem. I fitted a plate underneath to bring the bridge up a bit. It's not a trussrod related problem. The plate I used was Schaller one, made no doubt in anticipation of this problem, but I'm sure you could either make or get made something similar to suit your needs, and would be cheaper.

Hope this helps, good luck with the build.[/quote]

it does indeed - many thanks :)

darn...now i actually have to go buy a new schaller bridge just to get the shim !!

[quote name='ahpook' post='210695' date='Jun 1 2008, 07:18 PM']darn...now i actually have to go buy a new schaller bridge just to get the shim !![/quote]

Why not just get one made, would be cheaper. All you need to do is find someone with ability to cut (and drill) small piece of steel plate possibly 2mm to size - a backstreet welder, or small engineering workshop etc. If you had a decent jigsaw & file, you could probably do it yourself - don't throw your money away on a new bridge!

[quote name='nick' post='210705' date='Jun 1 2008, 07:35 PM']Why not just get one made, would be cheaper. All you need to do is find someone with ability to cut (and drill) small piece of steel plate possibly 2mm to size - a backstreet welder, or small engineering workshop etc. If you had a decent jigsaw & file, you could probably do it yourself - don't throw your money away on a new bridge![/quote]

hmmm....good plan.

although 'backstreet welder' sounds...well....[i]highly[/i] dubious !!

:)

[quote name='nick' post='210705' date='Jun 1 2008, 07:35 PM']Why not just get one made, would be cheaper. All you need to do is find someone with ability to cut (and drill) small piece of [b]steel plate[/b] possibly 2mm to size - a backstreet welder, or small engineering workshop etc. If you had a decent jigsaw & file, you could probably do it yourself - don't throw your money away on a new bridge![/quote]

Ooooh, now would brass give any sonic benefits :)

If its any help, this guy on fleabay sells brass sheet [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-brass-sheet-offcut-1-2mm-thick-178mm-x-157mm_W0QQitemZ360057340649QQihZ023QQcategoryZ98641QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-brass-sheet-offc...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

• 2 weeks later...