Why become a member? ×

Best 5 string "super jazz"

Stealth

You really must try a GB Spitfire... Jaco tone to spare all with a killer 'B' string. Boost the mids and the lows to let the notes just pop out when you play near the bridge. (They also have a killer slap tone and rocky P-bass tones with the neck p/u.)

[quote name='busccini' timestamp='1368191957' post='2074306']
hi i would both a lakland , take out the bartolinis or hanson what ever and put some nordstrand on , one u go nordstrand never come back to other pickups
cheers
[/quote]

I did :)

They sounded horrible in my old Roscoe, robbed it of all it's life and depth of tone and were very anaemic compared to the stock, custom wound, Barts it had fitted.

The Barts are back in it now and it's so much nicer :)

I have a few super Jazz 4's, Celinder J update and a pair of, very different Alleva Coppolos.

All three sound quite distinct so it's difficult to recommend one over another.

Depends exactly on what sort of tone you're after. A lot of people tend to define a super-jazz as bright and modern but that's not to everyone's taste :(

None of them. A Jazz bass makes, at best, only a compromised instrument: 1) the one piece neck will have resonance and dead spots; 2) the neck pickup is too near the neck for good definition of the B string; 3) the headstock is cramped, instead of a 2(B&E) + 3(ADG) tuner arrangement so the B string doesn't bind over the nut or around the tuner post; 4) the full-sized tuners cause neck dive. 5) The "growl" of a Jazz bass pickup does not make up for lack of clarity; 6) with the added weight of a thicker neck and extra tuner, the upper horn is not long enough to balance properly.

Edited by iiipopes