Why become a member? ×

How many Bands is too many?

Mr Fretbuzz

As a young player I always used to believe in one band one player but as I've got older I noticed a trend for others to play in a few projects. I took it up to 3 bands myself back around 2007 which on top of work / life was high end acceptable for me. I went back down to 1 again in 2009 which I've done since... until a few weeks ago I started mucking about with some rockabilly guys, so 2. With one gigging and one not we'll see how it pans out but I guess it depends how much of your time you want to donate to playing. These days I like travel and a few other pursuits too so after 25yrs of playing I like to do other things whilst not wishing to stop playing.

I'm in one quite busy band, at 55-70 gigs a year. However, as it's my main income, I'd really like to double that, but this band is unable to accomodate such a large increase in work (translation: their wives won't let them...). So I keep looking foe either a) a new band that will be happy to ramp up the gigging to 120+, or B) a side project that will dovetail nicely with the first band. the result?

I have yet to meet any other musician who would happily gig twice a week plus. In forty plus years! Where the hell are you all?
And the dovetailing? Has never worked. At all. And there are those here too who would have you gig once in a blue moon and be exclusive to them. Idiots.

Edit: that came over all twisted, no? Ah well. It was.

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1367264036' post='2063446']
And there are those here too who would have you gig once in a blue moon and be exclusive to them. Idiots.

Edit: that came over all twisted, no? Ah well. It was.
[/quote]

Yes, I live round here too, I suspect we know the same idiots.
:)