Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Capo for bass

lozbass

Maybe an odd question but does anybody use or know of a capo that is designed for or will function on 4 and 5 string bass?

I'm moving to short-scale playing entirely but have some long-scale basses that I don't want to sell (and would like to continue to use). I'm not sure if a capo is feasible or a solution. The idea would be to tune down a full step (DGCF) then apply the capo at the 2nd fret. Any experience/ideas gratefully received.

Myself, I don't know of a bass-specific capo, but I've used a Shubb on my 4-strings. Dunno about 5-strings - depends on width of capo, I s'pose.

Shubb series 1 capos are 2" wide and 9"-15" radius. The series 3 (for 12 string guitars) is 2.25" wide.

Never used anything other than Shubbs, so someone else will have to pronounce on things like the Spider-capo and other brands...

• 2 weeks later...

I've always viewed the idea of a capo on a bass to be quite interesting.

I once tried it when I was sixteen using one of my dad's capos from his acoustic guitar, and it worked, but I'm not sure on the practical uses unless you're doing chords or, like a person said above me, drone notes in different keys.

I say go for it and try it and let us know how it works. I wouldn't bust my balls trying to find a bass capo though, I'd just buy any old one and see if that works for you. The one I used was a Shubb-style mechanism.