Why become a member? ×

Still tempted by guts...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1368480468' post='2077676']

Personally I have spent about 80 quid on a set of Silver Slaps, and 160EUR on a set of 7 Lambert Gut Twins. I've also just spent £100 on a G and D gut, and I'll judge them when they arrive this week.

So overall I haven't spent a lot, and while I don't currently have any real guts to compare them to, I am impressed with the overall performance of the Lamberts. The G in particular seems to be good at everything. The D may be the weakest of the set but it's improving (and I've heard that gut Ds are usually pretty weak too), and the wound A and E I'd imagine perform better than guts. I doubt you can buy a good set of guts cheaper than a set of Lamberts.
[/quote]

Good for you: don't let the bug get you! I have spent a lot more than that through the years: Innovations, gut-a-likes, solo strings, weich strings, presto/eurosonics, velvets of all kinds, not to mention the mixed sets...and all of this thinking that surely modern technologies have found a way to reproduce the gut sound without the maintenance: well they really have not (in my opinion). Of course, like anything to do with music, each ear will have a different opinion. In my opinion, gut is best (with wound or low tension E and A). Anyway, the Lambert price seems a bit stiff for nylon slap strings, BUT they do seem to have a lot of good reviews, so you never know.. And you are absolutely right, guts are expensive, sometimes too bloomin' expensive...

Well I got a used gut G and D and Garbo A and E in the post today from BC's GCordez and put them on my other bass. Wish I hadn't because they are too expensive and I really like them. I can't afford to get used to this!

The guts are just lovely. I mean the Lamberts are good strings but they don't have that soft feel to them and it comes through a bit in the sound which is a bit hard-edged and snappy compared to the real thing. Admittedly I've got the guts on a much nicer bass but still I can tell that guts would sound better on the crappy bass too.

I've really enjoyed thrumming along on this thing tonight. I'll have to try some of the cheaper guts out there too because I can't afford to be buying these new...

As I'm a complete novice to the world of guts, how much is an average set ? I realise there's probably a vast range in prices but what sort of range are they in?
I've ordered my new bass with Innovation Rockabillys but I know I'd love to have real gut strings one day.

Edited by Maude

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1368990822' post='2083785']
Guts typically cost in a range of £200 to £400. Ouch

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.html?gf=strings_for_double_basses&oa=prd"]http://www.thomann.d...e_basses&oa=prd[/url]
[/quote]

Crikey, I might have to sell the set I've got sitting unplayed at The Beedster Mansion. Or I could try playing them I suppose, although to my ear they sounded pretty nondescript last time I tried.