Why become a member? ×

DB Books for N00bs?

Norris

My copy of [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0967601509/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]The Evolving Bassist[/url] should arrive today - the DVD will take an extra day or two (cheaper bought separately!).

Can you give me any of your other 'essential' recommendations? Not only for exercises & technique, but also for compilations of slightly easier classical or jazz music to play.

I realise the Evolving Bassist book has some recommendations, but I am interested in what other books you have found useful. I haven't invested in a bow yet, so everything is pizzicato - but it's only a matter of time before I get one.

And what the hey - why link in some useful YouTube channels/links too? This thread could become a useful resource for n00bs :)

IMO if you want to play jazz it's worth getting a book specifically about constructing walking basslines. I've got the ones by Ed Fuqua, Ed Friedland and Jay Hungerford and I got something from each of them.

John Goldsby's Jazz Bass Book is a wonderful combination of biographies and technique that's filled with snippets from the great players. It inspires me to try new things out whenever I pick it up, well worth getting.

Hope this helps.

Hi! - I think it is worth to have a look at Michael Barry Wolf "Principles of Double Bass Technique". He plays 4 finger technique, so some chapters are not interesting for everybody and sometimes it is a little sophisticated, so wouldn't recommend to buy it for a Jazz beginner, but maybe You can have a look at it in a library. - Best, Thomas

Another thumbs up for Rufus reid's book.
When i was teaching i made all my students buy the Evolving Bassist.
But for the most,,,My essential' recommendation.....spend as much time as you can learning things by ear.
It WILL stay in :dash1:

It WILL stay in

It WILL stay in :dash1:

Edited by funkgod

• 2 weeks later...

The Jazz Bass Book by John Goldsby is a good one for finding out about the history of the instrument. I don't find the exercises at the back that useful. Same goes for the Evolving Bassist, not a huge fan of the exercises though it has some good insights on how to play the instrument. The Ray Brown book is quite nice, I use it from time to time, again I don't see it as necessarily 'how to play the bass' but good stuff to develop your technique.

I think the Mike Downes book is pretty good in analysing how bass lines work and as for classical the Keith Hartley books are quite good for getting you playing some tunes with the bow. Sevckik is amazing but heavy, heavy stuff, standard practice material for classical players.

Personally speaking for a complete beginner, I'd say go to a teacher. All these books can be rather overwhelming imo, a teacher will help you break stuff down. If you want to learn how to construct bass lines then get transcribing as soon as possible (it's also fabulous ear training and will help you improve your time by playing along to records)

I don't get to see a teacher very often at the moment but I'm doing a lot of playing along to records to get the vibe and detailed transcription to get the language. I also recommend 'The Serious Jazz Practice Book' by Barry Finnerty, nothing to do with bass but very good for getting to know your instrument and hearing different intervals. It's essentially a very comprehensive scale book with 1000s of different scale and arpeggio studies written out in C for you to transcribe into every key. Great warm up material and a lifetime of melodic ideas in there.

I will be moving to Leicester in the near future if you're interested in getting some pointers.

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1368256760' post='2074910']
If you have an iPad, iPhone android, then get the iRealB App More info at http://www.irealb.com/

Cant recommend it highly enough!
[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation, I have just downloaded and will be using regularly - a great & comparatively very cheap tool!

I'm sure you will enjoy it Phil ! Did you clock that theres an online ever expanding library? The App is fast becoming a jam-along-jazz 'fake book'.

Norris, there are some good books about full of ideas to link chord sequences , such as a chromatic approach , fifths, tritone substitution, arpeggios, passing notes, rising from below, descending from above etc . Personal favourite are the four books by Steve Mooney - heres a link on E-bay where you can buy the first[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Standards-Blues-Bebop-Rhythm-changes-walking-bass-lines-book-Complete-Set-/220996184759?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3374662ab7"] 3 books as a pack[/url]. Good to work through the concepts which are explained pretty well, then there are pieces in all 12 keys with the concepts in action, you can download the pieces 'including bass' and 'excluding bass' free from Steve's web site which he is forever updating with new material.

Great to then plug these concepts and ideas playing along to the iRealB App where you can loop any sequence of chords and try different ideas. Its pretty key to get into good playing habits from the start and learn how to navigate the fingerboard so that you can find any note and lessons are the easiest and quickest route .

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1368290513' post='2075377']
I'm sure you will enjoy it Phil ! Did you clock that theres an online ever expanding library? The App is fast becoming a jam-along-jazz '
[/quote]

Yes, I did, I've spent hours and hours in the past programming and step writing my own backing tracks on different media (for at least 25 years) so this is a great help and a great 'fast' start to jamming along. As you say there's nothing better than looping to check out what works or sounds different. Hours of fun!