Why become a member? ×

Importing a bass from Japan

Twigman

This thread is quite old, but I think you may still find it useful...
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/139-importing-guitars/page__hl__importing%20bass%20guitars%20to%20uk"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/139-importing-guitars/page__hl__importing%20bass%20guitars%20to%20uk[/url]

The easiest way to buy a bass from Japan is from Ishibashi who are geared up to deal with international sales (although they are not allowed to sell some new items abroad). This is how I've bought all my instruments from Japan (except for the two that I got while I was actually out there).

However I've looked on both the Ishibashi and Digimart sites and this bass doesn't appear to be on either. Therefore I'm assuming that you are hoping to buy it directly from Atlansia. From their site it looks as though they will sell internationally, although exactly how this works isn't very clear. I suggest you email them and find out.

Extra costs to be aware of. Expect your bank or credit card (which ever you have to use) to charge you for currency conversion. If you pay by bank transfer expect a charge for this as well with it being international. Shipping will depend on who they use. If this was coming from Ishibashi who use the standard Japanese parcel service which ends up being delivered by Parcel Force here I'd expect it to be £100-150. If they use a carrier service like UPS or FedEx it could be three times this. Then there will be VAT, import duty (as well as the carrier's clearance fee) on top - generally about 25% on top of the price of the item plus the shipping costs.

Good luck!