Why become a member? ×

Rack Amp Power Distribution !!

shanefitzy

Hi , I am a little Racktarded but can you buy female to female IEC (C13) patch cables anywhere to connect my rack units power to a rack mounted power distributor . I may be searching for the wrong thing but can only find extensions (male to female (c14 to c13)) . Or will I have to make these (possible tragic outcome).
Thanks
Shane

That doesn't sound right to me.
Have a word with Basschat's obbm, he knows all there is to know about leads and cables. :)
If you need anything making he will do it.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/12-obbm/"]http://basschat.co.uk/user/12-obbm/[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='shanefitzy' timestamp='1366234279' post='2050058']...female to female IEC (C13) patch cables...[/quote]

Good evening, Shane...

Can you give some kind of rational explanation as to why this should be required..? Photos of your needs would help.
In general (and I can think of no exceptions...) the 'live' source must be 'female', the i/p male. If there is a 'live' male in the system, there is a risk (or even certainty...) of lethal voltage being exposed, and an assured accident. Are you sure that this is not a risk in your case..?

Having used used IEC outlet strips in my former Professional life in TV studio racks, etc., I started to use one in my rig however it soon became clear that they lacked flexibility as every bit of my kit required an IEC plug whereas everyone else used 13A plugs. I couldn't plug equipment into them and they couldn't plug into me.

The solution was, and still is, to use a 1U 13A outlet strip across the rear of the rack. There are quite a few makes of these available now. Love them or hate them the ubiquitous 13A plug rules in the UK.

Well if you do find a power strip with male connectors then you need to drop it into the bin after reshaping it with a lump hammer. :)

The industry standard for an IEC based distribution panel is to have a line of Female connectors which are connected to the appliance using a Male IEC to Female IEC lead.