Why become a member? ×

Nightingale (Goodfellow) 4s
£399

eubassix

[quote name='eubassix' timestamp='1366126247' post='2048687']
I think it's probably an early (possibly Custom) example of Neil 's work
[/quote]

Neil? It looks like a Goodfellow... a forerunner to the current Rumour basses Bernie makes?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='eubassix' timestamp='1366141544' post='2048952']
Nightingale instruments (basses / guitars) were built by Neil McDonald. Neil and Bernie worked (built/developed) together (and did, I think, play together in the same band at one time). Nightingale were not AFAIK any 'forerunner' to Goodfellow(s). Bernie built Goodfellow(s) and then changed to GB when the (his) name was 'adopted' by the Lowden factory in Newtonards (Belfast). I did see another reference to Bernie making Nightingale/Goodfellow on BC recently, but am not sure if that's correct. I'm not certain as to the timeline and details, but Nightingale instruments were certainly produced by Neil M. from his Denmark St. workshop at the same time as BG was producing GF's and (later) GB's.
[/quote]

Were partners at one point in Nightingale but parted company. Nightingale came after the Goodfellow sale to Lowden. They played together in the Chance band, Neil guitar, Bernie bass - a notable London function band. There is a magazine review of two of Bernie's basses (Rumour shaped) post the Nightingale era just as GB was starting - but at the time, GB hadn't been chosen as a name and the Rumour was named by the writer of that review, Gibson Keddie.

This is a newer Nightingale - the older ones have a different body shape and headstock, with the old nightingale's face / yin-yang logo on the headstock - I had a very nice 4-string Nightingale back in the day, with the older headstock and body shape. This is probably a mid-90s example.

Anyone got any idea what happened to Neil after he shut up shop in Denmark St?

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1367584613' post='2067233']
This is a newer Nightingale - the older ones have a different body shape and headstock, with the old nightingale's face / yin-yang logo on the headstock - I had a very nice 4-string Nightingale back in the day, with the older headstock and body shape. This is probably a mid-90s example.
Anyone got any idea what happened to Neil after he shut up shop in Denmark St?
[/quote]

Thanks for that info Russ. I think Neil is still living in Sutton and was more involved in playing (solo) around the clubs after he closed the basement unit in Denmark St. Last time I was down there, the French luthier (forget his name for now but will check back later) was using part of that unit. Andy (Gibson, who was always working with Neil when I visited Nightingale) is still in Denmark St. (basement of the first shop on the left, Tott.Court Rd. end) doing repairs, set-ups etc. Used to see Dick Straker there too (now with Bernie/GB .. unless that's changed?), Sad to hear that Mick (spray/finish artist par excellence) passed away.

[quote name='eubassix' timestamp='1367923543' post='2070987']
Last time I was down there, the French luthier (forget his name for now but will check back later) was using part of that unit.
[/quote]
Philippe Dubreuille

[quote]
Used to see Dick Straker there too (now with Bernie/GB .. unless that's changed?), Sad to hear that Mick (spray/finish artist par excellence) passed away.
[/quote]

Dick does work for a number of people including Bernie and Charlie Watkins. He used to do UK repair work for Mark Bass whilst they were being distributed by Proel.

Yes Mick - passed some years now.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1367935233' post='2071176']
Philippe Dubreuille
Dick does work for a number of people including Bernie and Charlie Watkins. He used to do UK repair work for Mark Bass whilst they were being distributed by Proel.
Yes Mick - passed some years now.
[/quote]

Thanks for that EBS-F (and also Russ) - just had a long chat with [b]Andy Gibson [/b]who I knew from his time with Neil / Nightingale and who confirms most of the history, although he's a bit hazy about actual dates & 'crossovers'. I also added Andy to the list of recommended Luthiers/Repairers. He's now based in the basement of Chris Bryant Guitars, (busy end of Denmark Street, so handy for central London or if you're checking-out Tin Pan Alley).
Andy has worked previously (from early 90's) with Bernie Goodfellow, Neil McDonald, Phillipe Dubreuille, Dan Dearnley (now guitar tech, for Eric Clapton) etc.
I believe he's planning some handmade instruments with Daniel (former GMR rep/tech. in same workshop).
He does constant work for Dave Swift (Jools Holland).... and Happy Jack (BC!)

• 2 months later...