Why become a member? ×

Warwick 87 JD Thumb bass SOLD
£1200

warwickhunt

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Manufacturer: Warwick[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Model: [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thumb (JD)[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Year/serial number: 87 - G970[/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Country of origin: W Germany[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Body: Bubinga[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Neck: Wenge/Bubinga Neck-Thru[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fingerboard: Wenge[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pick-ups: EMG[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Preamp: [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MEC[/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hardware: Warwick/Schaller. Bridge is adjustable for height/intonation/string spacing[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Finish: Oil[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Case/Gigbag: Warwick Rockcase (hardcase) [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Extras: Straplocks[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Weight: 9lb 14oz [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Positives: Excellent condition (especially considering the age). Very slight superficial marks on the body and a few wear marks on the pups. The D string tuner 'washer' (the plastic insert surround, see headstock front pic) is cracked but not broken away and doesn't affect the tuner/bass in any way; again replacements can be had.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Negatives: Battery cover here but clip snapped off (will be secured with tape), not uncommon and readily available.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Price: £1200[/font][/color]

Not much that I can add to the above, if you know your Warwick history, you'll know that these early Thumbs differ from the later models in having a 1 piece bridge (Warwick branded Schaller 3D), sculpted headstock rear, slimmer necks and come with various pup manufacturers (the JDs had EMG). JD refers to John Diggin who worked with Warwick to design the bass and the first production run had the JD logo on the truss rod cover.

No problem at all with neck dive on this bass (I've not tried a NT Thumb that did so not sure where the story of neck diving Thumbs came from), it balances perfectly. No crackly pots or iffy electrics. Since these pics were taken I've given the frets a good polish and set the bass up (no probs with the truss rod) with a nice low action.

The bass comes with an 'as new' Warwick hardcase (I think there is one up for sale at the moment on BC for £100+) but I can supply a period correct gigbag if you'd prefer.

I'd be interested in a trade for a Streamer bass (don't think anything else would float my boat at the minute but you could try me) but it would need to be sub 9lb in weight and to make a straight swap it would need to be a vintage Streamer so certainly no later than this bass; though I would accept cash added to the deal if condition wasn't as good or if it was a slightly later bass (for an absolute corker of a bass then I'd add a bit of cash).

Price includes delivery to a UK mainland address.

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1365603351' post='2041677']
...JD refers to John Diggin who worked with Warwick to design the bass and the first production run had the JD logo on the truss rod cover....[/quote]
I think in '87 John Diggins was already quite busy building his JDs to be helping Warwick with designs ;) :D

Spectacular bass, I own one that could be a twin of this and it's one of the best basses I ever owned.

Edited by Enzo

[quote name='Enzo' timestamp='1365646040' post='2042354']
I think in '87 John Diggins was already quite busy building his JDs to be helping Warwick with designs ;) :D

Spectacular bass, I own one that could be a twin of this and it's one of the best basses I ever owned.
[/quote]

Ooops, I'd actually just been offered a JD bass as part ex for my Ric when I was typing this thread... brain not fully engaged! :lol:

Substitute Davis for Diggins. ;)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1365665783' post='2042444']
Gorgeous, great price for what I'm sure is an excellent bass. Would love to have a play on her to compare to my 90' model :)
[/quote]

Cheers Kev, you'd need to make the comparison quick as there are several folk interested... saying that it may end up in a Galaxy near you! :D