Why become a member? ×

Are Loopers the Scourge of the Modern ERBassist?

xilddx

Would it be unfair to suggest that ERbass players generally tend to work alone and so a looper is very useful to give them something to play against? I know there are ERbass players in bands, the world is so large there's bound to be, but in general.

(Perhaps it would be unfair if I used the 'bedroom word'.)

• 1 month later...

I use a looper, mainly at home for practicing timings and getting some chord progression or melody ideas that help playing live. I used to find bass quite 'difficult' to practice alone so my looper proved a good friend. You can struggle to find a start, middle and end with them with but with other effects you can create some interesting textures.
Its all about getting your ideas out there and looping is one way of doing that.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGfaDH2iudU[/media]

Edited by scannerman

I am probanly going to go down in flames for saying it but are loopers the only means by which ERB players can justify the extended range? Without them, they rarely seem to use anything but the middle bit of the range which they would have had access to on an off the peg 5 string.

I use a looper all the time, I think they're great pieces of kit for songwriting. (I even had a crack at this months composition competition on one)

Admittedly just one chord pattern repeated indefinately with a widdly solo over the top is not really my thing, but I think a looper can be so much more than that. I'm going to put some bits up on youtube for some old friends who are always interested in what I'm coming up with.

Here is the clip if anyone is interested.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWKn8MbLYzU[/media]

Rob

Edited by CamdenRob