Why become a member? ×

JV Squire Precision £350 on London gumtree

Funny thing is, he was originally going to sell it for a lot less! He had had it given to him (well, he said he gave his friend 50 quid for it) 8 years ago. It wasn't until somebody suggested he sell it for a bit more that he upped the price to 350. So he was happy to sell it to me at that price. Smiles all round. I can't believe that somebody would go in and spoil a good deal for somebody just so they could get a JV at a pretty normal price.
Balls!

Seems like he just wanted out if the agreed deal with me once he caught wind that he could get more for it. Shame he wasn't straight forward with me, but then i guess not everyone is as honest the good ol' Basschatter folk eh?

Well, now it seems we know the score. And if anybody fancies a JV for a very regular price then it is there for the taking.

• 1 month later...

It's back on for £520 ... As its local to me i text the guy and got no reply.. Then today i rang his number and got " funny music" . He then rang me later as a missed caller.. He said he has had the bass a while but knows nothing about it other than its worth more than the asking price...i was supposed to see it tonight but i got a text saying he had to go out and tell him when is the best time for me to see it ( errrr tonight! )

I was just telling my friend about how this guy didnt seem too much in a rush to clinch a deal and seemed a bit vauge ...

I think i might pass on this one after reading all the above posts.......Whats the saying? " if its too good....................."

For someone that knows nothing about the bass , his photos seem very informative , as in the type you may see on here . Ie: he has all the important parts covered just like a seasoned BC trader would show.. Possibly lifted off the web ?

i think he's just got carried away with pound notes flashing in his eyeballs... he obviously had a lot of calls when it was on for 350, then doubled the price and had no offers, now he's settled on half way... hmmm....

i did call him when it was re-listed, and he seemed fine to talk to, but then i changed my mind about going to see it. i don't think its a scam, but the guy is obviously not the most reliable (trustworthy?) person. the item itself seems to be for real. caution advised!

gumtree is full of this nonsense.

I cant believe it !!!!!! I take back all my thoughts about this guy . I managed to catch him and commit to me viewing the bass..He is just a really laid back guy.

So laid back i actually have the bass here with me on trial !!! No deposit , he did'nt even want my address! He said i seem like a nice bloke , take it for a few days -:))

Ok , first impressions its a bit road worn and the action is way high... Gonna take it apart later and perform an autopsy ...

Watch this space

So.... Everything is as it should be for this model according to 21frets. The scratch plate is a 4 ply (TWBW) and had not been off for a good while if ever.. The wiring is of the cloth type and seems to have been untouched . The green capacitor was present..
The pups are appeared to be original and had slight rusting on the poles..
The bridge was the sprial grooved type and had some pitting on the chrome ...
The tuners are right for the model .The g peg was ever so slightly bent but could be eased back i imagine. I was ever so impressed with the japanese and their ability to copy. Even the tuners did not sit flush to the head(spot on for a 62) as the 2 small "diviots" which enable them to do so was not introduced until 1964 - :)

The neck plate had been tightened to the extent it had slighty bowed and sunk in to the lacquer.. the serial number suggests its an 83..
The body was ok except for a couple of scrapes here and there. The paint is original ..Road worn..
The neck pocket is snug and had 2 thick wooden shims in the bottom of it - :(((( gutted!
The neck has the date 5/31/83 on the heel and is penciled under the lacquer..stamped in ink is 6.EX followed by what looks like a 7.
The frets showed no uneven wear..
The neck had about 1mm of clearance at the 8 th fret when stopping the 1st and 17th fret , way too much for me...

The bad news....The truss rod is totally maxed out with the screw almost out of view. This explained the shims which gives it some sort of playability..
I managed to turn the screw anti clockwise enough to convince me it was not seized up..

Had this bass not had a truss rod issue i would have had no second thoughts about making an offer on it.
Plugged in to my Abm 210 it sounded awesome..So much better than my old 2003 mia pb..

On returning it back to the owner i suggested that it would suit someone for maybe parts or someone willing to have the truss rod replaced /new neck.
He said he would re advertise and point out the problems i found with it.

I have to say how after the events of yesterday (woolwich) this guy restored a little bit of faith in the human race for me by letting me simply walk off with the bass.
I dont think there are many of us that would do that with the cheapest of items..Maybe a bit eccentric but overall a really nice guy.

So if this bass does come up for sale again and you fancy a project , dont hesitate to buy from him...

- :)

Edited by Ktmman

out of interest, what would be the issue with just removing the shims and turning the truss rod counter clockwise to remove the overly concave neck? i'm not an expert at these things.

Edited by tedmanzie

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1369408675' post='2088958']
out of interest, what would be the issue with just removing the shims and turning the truss rod counter clockwise to remove the overly concave neck? i'm not an expert at these things.
[/quote]