Why become a member? ×

Help needed, OHM GA 125

Addy87

Hey guys I've just borrowed a OHM Ga125 head. My mate has had it laying around for about 3 years, said I can borrow I for a few weeks with the intention of buying it. We both know nothing about the amp, being a guitarist playing bass I know minimal info on bass amps. If anyone could tell me any infomation on them it would be a great help. Are they good heads? How old? Price estimate? Would it be loud enough playing again a 50w valve head and drummer? I can also take a picture if it helps. Cheers

How loud mostly depends on the cabinet, a bunch on your eq also. I had one of these, would probably keep up using the cabs I have now, but probably wouldn't of on the cabs I had then. I recall it sounded OK, and I was fairly glad to get £50 for it when I sold it. The 50w head will ahve a volume control, so that's a non issue, but an acoustic drum kit is always the thing to set the band volume to.

Ill be playing through an orange 4x10 if that helps. The drummer has a pretty big bass drum and will be used for hardcore punk rock. What we're the issues you had with with being glad to get rid of it? I'm just considering if its worth the money to go get it serviced.

I had the combo version of this amp back in the 80's. Think it had a 15" speaker in it.

I remember i really liked the sound. Punchy, defined and clear and i sold it to finance a Trace Elliot. In hindsight, i preferred the sound of the Ohm weirdly. I gigged it in pubs loads of times so you should be fine running a 410 cab as long as it maximises the output - make sure its the right impedance. I'm guessing you'll need a 4 ohm cab but check to be sure.

I think there's the cab for this head on ebay right now, sorry I can't attach the link, the ubiquitous 'bass cab' search brought it up. I remember them as nice amps, Colin Moulding from XTC used the combo of the same amp chassis at one point. I've heard them in action coping quite well in rock bands, I think it will be fine with an efficient cab.

I had the 80w combo version (1x15). British made, well built and very reliable if a little underpowered. Sold many moons ago to finance a Carlsbro Stingray Probass 300

[quote name='Addy87' timestamp='1364975776' post='2033408']
What we're the issues you had with with being glad to get rid of it? I'm just considering if its worth the money to go get it serviced.
[/quote]

No issues, I'd serviced it. Just managing to get £50 for it seemed good, don't think would sell easily.

Went to local music shop today they're going to service it for me. Glad to hear some good reviews on it and thanks for your replies. I've got a couple more questions...
The back of the amp says minium 4ohms speaker input. Does this mean a 8ohms cab will be ok or is a 4ohms cab more suited?
What is a slave output?
What is a bi-amp output?
Also there is no master volume, there's a number of dials going from 125hz to 4kz, is this used for the volume?
Thanks for your help guys.

The volume control is the volume, only need one. Slave is so you can run another amp from the came controls. Biamp means splitting frequency bands, probably should have an associated frequency and high/low. The slider controls are graphic eq for tone control. 8ohm is fine.

Ah it confused me with it saying gain I thought it ment distortion rather than volume. Cheers man. Going to wait till I get to run it through a cab I can borrow at the rehearsal room, if all goes well ill look to buy a cab then.

Edited by Addy87

I've just sold an Ohm combo with 15" speaker to a mate for £50. They seem to sell for about this on ebay/gumtree.

It was in good working order and had excellent tone/punch. I bought it cos I had 2 back in the 80s -seemed to be quite well respected back then - a couple of my friend shared ownership of the 2 I had (sold amongst us). Seem to be good value for money I'd say.