Why become a member? ×

Do we appreciate technical skill more than musical beauty on here?

xilddx

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1364338764' post='2025247']
I'd just like to say there is much more to music than groove as well as virtuosity.
I'd also like to say there is a lot of virtuosity in Mozart's and Stravinsky's music which has lots of Musical Beauty.
[/quote]
Yes. Nothing wrong with virtuosity as long as there's still the music too.

Oh Nige, always these cans of worms... :lol:

well, I hope I'll never forget that making music is about making music for people, not for musicians.
but I don't believe the bassplayers here forget about this either.
but talking about music that you "have to" listen to on the mainstream medias, I definately aggree, allthough more from a producers sight of view. technique only is a medium to transport feelings more eloquently, but I believe that technical abilities in producing are the only ability that counts in the mass media, because the compositions start to lack in quality and especially in originality since the "casting-age".

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1364316982' post='2024786']
Is it safe to have this discussion? Is Inti/Antelope anywhere withing hearing distance...? :unsure: :ph34r:

Simple is good. But often it seems that we have to go through some kind of "life cycle" as a musician. You start off crap (obviously), but through practise and dedication start to get quite good. Some people stop there and are quite happy.

Others aspire to more, so they practise harder and longer. Maybe learn theory. Maybe have lessons. They start to get seriously good, and start to demonstrate their expertise by playing all over the music that they play.... Some people are impressed...

Then comes the "economy" stage. You know where the notes are, and how to play them. You may well have a commanding knowledge of technique and are skilled in various styles.... BUT (and that's a big but) you [b][i]choose[/i][/b] not to play them all the time! You are now a tasteful player and are a far more valuable commodity to bands and other musicians. B)

For that reason, never judge a player by what they play. You have no idea what they [i]can[/i] play! :)
[/quote]

I was going to post, but instead - this ^

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1364338586' post='2025243']
Can I mention

Queen - Under Pressure

Us there actually a better anti-technical bass line that kicks like no other.

That 7 note sequence can just be played once and it's instantly recognisable.

Proof is in the pudding people

I'd rather have a homemade jam rolly polly any day..
[/quote]

I'm with you on this point for the most part , but John Deacon is a musician of formidable ability with great technique , as were all the members of Queen . That might be a relatively simple line in terms of notes , but it's difficulty lies in its' conception . All of which highlights a problem with the opening thesis that some people focus on impressive technique rather than deeper musical expression . It's a very fair point , but the difficulty is in defining what impressive technique is and what is technical ability . Something I have learnt over the last 30 - odd years of playing the bass is that some more staightforward or " simple " bass playing requires a lot of practise and good technique to execute properly . To lay down straight eighth notes that are so solid you could build a house on them like Cliff Williams does for AC/DC is not easy . To play slowly with good meter and correct note values and durations is not easy , either . The best players have paid attention to the small details and make everything look easy , when the reality is that it is far from easy to play like they do .

Edited by Dingus